+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top prognosticator sees bowl for U-M

Blog Entries

Top prognosticator sees bowl for U-M

Top prognosticator sees bowl for U-M

Updated:6/22/2009 8:50:25 AM

(DETROIT FREE PRESS) - For some, college football prediction is an art. For Phil Steele, publisher of Phil Steele's college football preview, it's more of a science.

He has had the most accurate magazine over the past five and 10 years, according to the college football Web site Stassen.com. Much of the accuracy is because of his statistical breakdown of teams.

He ranks Michigan 36th in his power poll of talent and predicts the Wolverines to finish in a sixth-place tie with Wisconsin in the Big Ten, behind Penn State, Ohio State, Iowa, Illinois and Michigan State.

Steele predicts an improved season for the Wolverines, the fourth-most improved season nationally, trailing only Illinois, Ohio and UCLA. He also sees them in the Champs Sports Bowl against Miami (Fla.).

Some of his factors for optimism:
    *Michigan's negative-10 turnover margin in 2008. "Teams with a negative double-digit TO ratio had the same or stronger records 80% of the time since 1996."

*In his simulation of the 2009 season, Michigan had the most improved offense in the country.

*The Wolverines had "bad fortune" by his analysis in 2008, winning only one close game (the miracle comeback against Wisconsin) and losing four close ones for a net of three close losses. In his analysis over the past seven years, teams with a net of three were better or had the same record 78.6% of the time the next season.

*U-M has 14 returning starters, fourth-most in the Big Ten.
    His primary caution -- Michigan is his only Big Ten contender that has to play all of the other six.

He predicts two Wolverines on the All-Big Ten first team -- defensive end Brandon Graham and punter Zoltan Mesko.

By MARK SNYDER FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
    I'll hang up and listen...
    Find a new slant.

lol@ the champs sports bowl.

Where do they play that? The Novi Dave and Busters?
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by bukdow
    LOL! Bowl game??
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTre11
    LMAO! Champs Sports?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    ROFLMAO! Rose Bowl at least!

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip
    I live in a box, I hate my kids and all people that procreate, message board dwellers need to get a life. I'm currently masterbating.
    Find a new slant.

I like today's Glenn.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    I like today's Glenn.
    It's not even 1 pm yet, there's time to change that.
    Find a new slant.

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    The joooooooy of your liiiiiiiife is gl'enn danzig
    Beautiful beautiful danzig

To go toThe Champs Sports Bowl, UM would have to be 7-5 or 8-4. I don`t see it. I see 6-6 with an invitation to the Motor City Bowl. Which will create all sorts of trouble amongst the wolverine nation.
    www.university.com

I don't think that was cause any trouble. I think any bowl game this year would be considered a success given the turnover. Last year was certainly a disaster, but I don't think anyone expects 8 wins until next year.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    You spelled "masturbating" wrong. And I prefer the term "whacking off"
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

+ Reply to Thread