I saw this today and thought it was pretty good.

Predictably, it focused on U93, not on the towers or on the Pentagon. They did show the 2nd plane hit the WTC (the CNN shot), but there were no close up shots--no people jumping out, etc. Same deal with the Pentagon: the CNN shot of smoke billowing out, but nothing close-up.

As far as I could tell, the three main settings for scenes were inside the FAA, inside NORAD--where the themes were disorder and the failure of beauracracy--and onboard United 93, where passengers exchanged banal comments for the first 25 minutes. Though of course the audience was on the edge of their seats.

From the sound of people in the theatre, the most emotional scene was when the passengers were making their last calls home. None of the passengers spoke to each other by name, but one did use the "Let's Roll" line.

The portrayal of the hijackers was fair. They were neither glorified for their conviction, nor demonized for their actions. Each hijacker had a unique personality: one was hesitant, one bloodthirsty,etc. So they weren't flat characters.

I haven't seen Munich, but I've heard the balance Spielberg shows for characters is the worst kind of cultural relativism. The closest thing to balance in U93 is one scene, which alternates b/t the passengers and the hijackers doing their own form of prayer. I wasn't offended by it though.

The film wasn't patriotic. Besides one shot of a "God Bless America" sign in the first couple minutes, this movie doesn't celebrate a country as much as it does the courage of the passengers. There are no American flags in this movie. All in all, I'm glad I saw it. Initially, I was worried that the movie version of 9/11 might cheapen my memory of it. But I found that the film isn't a substitute, so much as an amplification--and a good one at that.