+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kobe/TMac idea

Blog Entries

Kobe/TMac idea

If a Kobe/TMac deal were to happen (as some sources have speculated) it would probably have to look something like this:

You have to figure that the Lakers will want to dump a bad contract along with Kobe, since they can't get equal talent. Radmanovic is a PF, which is actually a need for Houston, so that might be a good fit.

The Lakers would also probably want expiring deals, which is why Wells and Sura fit the bill, even if Sura can't play anymore.

I also think Houston would have to add at least one draft pick.

LA also saves about $750K in this deal (which is really $1.5m, since both teams are over the tax threshold).

Kobe & Yao would be about as close as Kobe & Shaq as you could get.
    Find a new slant.

The Lakers probably don't even make the playoffs imo. They could receive a much better package from the bulls or the Pistons.

Yeah, I just don't see this deal going down? If you're LA, do you trade Radmonovich for Wells and Sura, probably, but Kobe is a much better player than T-Mac, so unless they're getting a few first round picks in that deal its a no go. The cap space of expiring deals is nice, but I think they'll want a young guy AND some picks in a deal like that. Does Houston have any youngins to add to that deal?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    If you're LA, do you trade Radmonovich for Wells and Sura, probably, but Kobe is a much better player than T-Mac, so unless they're getting a few first round picks in that deal its a no go.

There is no "probably" about it. You dump one of the worst contracts in the NBA for two expiring deals in a heartbeat. It's a plus that one of those guys plays the same position as the guy you would be giving up (also TMac back insurance).

If you want to separate this out, Houston doesn't do Wells/Sura for Vladi as a stand-alone deal. Not a chance.

The gap in value in that part of the deal is an attempt to make up for the gap in value between Kobe/McGrady.
    Find a new slant.

I'm saying that the gap in value in that deal isn't enough to make up the gap in value between Kobe and T-Mac. 5 years ago this deal goes through, but now with McGrady's back issues and the fact that Kobe would still outshine him when they're both healthy means that Houston better add a young talent and some draft pics for this to even be considered.

I agree. If Tmac had stayed healthy for the last few years, a Kobe for Tmac swap wouldn't be so lopsided. Now, Kobe is a top 3 player and Tmac is simply an all star caliber player.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    I'm saying that the gap in value in that deal isn't enough to make up the gap in value between Kobe and T-Mac. 5 years ago this deal goes through, but now with McGrady's back issues and the fact that Kobe would still outshine him when they're both healthy means that Houston better add a young talent and some draft pics for this to even be considered.

Well, I did say it was an "attempt", lol.

I also did mention draft pick(s) in the initial offer description.

Houston's got some young players they could offer, but none of them are more valuable than expiring deals and the willingness to take on a horrible deal, IMO.
    Find a new slant.

The problem with a LA/Houston deal is that draft picks won't do LA any good. Houston is a playoff team, and if you swapped Kobe for Tmac (and whatever filler), they are likely going to be drafting in the end of the first for a long time. The Lakers aren't going to want those picks. And I agree with Glenn that their young players are less valuable then cap space. I can't think of any stellar young Rockets off hand (though there might be a couple).
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Yeah, I just don't see this deal going down? If you're LA, do you trade Radmonovich for Wells and Sura, probably, but Kobe is a much better player than T-Mac, so unless they're getting a few first round picks in that deal its a no go. The cap space of expiring deals is nice, but I think they'll want a young guy AND some picks in a deal like that. Does Houston have any youngins to add to that deal?

Aaron Brooks would be very expandable if Kobe came in. If Yao got Kobe, they'd def be a top 4 team in West if they arent already

Blog Entries
    If Tracy McGrady were ever to prove he can stay healthy for an entire season then maybe...

I'm almost sure Kupchak could get a better offer than that...

+ Reply to Thread