• C

3 15.79%
  • D

5 26.32%
  • F

2 10.53%
  • I'm not sure Joe knows how to get there from here

7 36.84%
  • Joe has a handle on things. In Joe we trust.

7 36.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: End of Season grade: Joe Dumars

End of Season grade: Joe Dumars

Well...it has to be done. Not sure where to go with this?

Trading away CBill without a proven PG?

Accepting AI on the team?

Hiring Curry?

Cap Space?

Getting Dice back.

Copy and pasted from Goods and Bads

Good
    -Flexibility/cap space this summer
    -Discovering Will Bynum
    -Getting Dice back after the trade
    -Making the playoffs

Bad
    -Trading Chauncey without a proven PG?
    -Horrible coaching hire
    -The lack of improvement from our young players
    -Losing Dice for a month, Samb experiment failed
    -Acker didn’t pan out
    -Making the playoffs
    Players meeting my ASS!

I voted a D.

I like the Billups/AI move, I think that will pan out with further moves.

Hate the Curry hire.

Even with the trade and the transition that goes with it I expected a 4-5 seed and at least a winning record.

This season is a D.

Next season might be an A or B if the cap space pans out, but at this point we don't know for sure how it will play out.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Joe gets a D f#$king minus.

He brought in a farking retard to coach the team and then does nothing to fix the problem even though several good coaches are available.

He trades Billups too early and doesn't get sh*t for him.

He makes no moves at the trade deadline even though the team is struggling mightily.

He sucked A$$ with last years draft.

His big off-season signing was Kwame?? Really?? Really??

We kept AI around even though he didn't fit.

The team has seemingly lost direction and now our future depends pretty much on free agency.

We suck and it's Joe's fault.

This is tough cuz I like Joe, but damn, who else was more responsible for this season? We barely made the playoffs.

He has some pieces and cap space to make some moves, but I'm not completely sure he will make the right ones...mainly cuz of last year.
    Players meeting my ASS!

I can rationalize the trade. Taking a gamble on a hall of fame scorer with cap space as a consolation prize if you lose. Agree or not, at least a coherent argument can be made for it.

The Curry hire is inexcusable. Going into the season I just figured Joe must see something we didn't to hand the team over to such a green coach. In hindsight he was either stupid or tanking the season. Either way, I give him a D grade for the season.

The hiring of Curry & the big signing of Kwame are the 2 negatives I look at and wonder "WTF is Joe thinking?

The Iverson trade I understand - but Curry needs to be fired.

With the team we had we should have a much better record than we do. Think about it: we replaced Billups with Iverson. Stuckey, Amir and Maxiell were all expected to improve before the season started.

WTF happened? Stuckey, Amir and Maxiell didn't improve - some could claim all 3 got worse under Curry! Iverson never fit in due to our "offense".
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

For this season? F

For next season? We'll see what he does with the cap space.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    He's a GM. His "season", so to speak, starts in July and ends in June. I'll hold off on grades until then.

But...

If you call this a "rebuilding year", then Dumars managed to get a "rebuilding year" team into the playoffs, while creating great flexibility for the future. In that light, I'd argue that his biggest error wasn't the short-term experiments of AI or Curry, but the Maxiell contract extension.

Good points Mxy, thanks for brining up Max. Imagine our cap space without him.

I go C. We all begged him to change the team, he did that the best way at the best time he could.

Trouble is those aren't his standards. He expects to contend for a title every year and he is not, so it's unacceptable to me as well. The Curry hiring was and is flat stupid. If he doesn't replace him I will start him off with a D next year....trouble is I don't know who is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    He's a GM. His "season", so to speak, starts in July and ends in June. I'll hold off on grades until then.

But...

If you call this a "rebuilding year", then Dumars managed to get a "rebuilding year" team into the playoffs, while creating great flexibility for the future. In that light, I'd argue that his biggest error wasn't the short-term experiments of AI or Curry, but the Maxiell contract extension.
    I look at it as taking a perennial contender and ECF regular and reducing them to a joke with a losing record. The fact that we made the last playoff spot with a losing record in a conference that is very weak after the first 3 or 4 teams should NOT be noted as a positive for Joe.

+ Reply to Thread