+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Exonerated of Rape Conviction, Man Is Freed After 26 Years

Exonerated of Rape Conviction, Man Is Freed After 26 Years

Exonerated of Rape Conviction, Man Is Freed After 26 Years

Ouch.

DALLAS, Texas — Three times during his nearly 27 years in prison, Charles Chatman went before a parole board and refused to acknowledge he was a rapist. His steadfastness was vindicated yesterday, when a judge released him because of new DNA evidence showing he indeed wasn't. The release of Mr. Chatman, 47, added to Dallas County's nationally unmatched number of wrongfully convicted inmates.

"Every time I'd go to parole, they'd want a description of the crime or my version of the crime," Mr. Chatman said. "I don't have a version of the crime. I never committed the crime. I never will admit to doing this crime that I know I didn't do."
    Mr. Chatman was 20 when the victim, a young woman in her 20s, picked him from a lineup. Mr. Chatman said he lived five houses down from the victim for 13 years but never knew her.

She identified him in court as the attacker, and serology tests showed that the type of blood found at the crime scene matched that of Mr. Chatman — along with 40% of other black males. Mr. Chatman said he was working at the time of the assault, an alibi supported by his sister, who was also his employer.

Nevertheless, Mr. Chatman was convicted of aggravated sexual assault in 1981 and sentenced to 99 years in prison. Mr. Chatman said he believes his race led to his arrest and conviction. The jury, he said, had one black member.

"I was convicted because a black man committed a crime against a white woman," Mr. Chatman said. "And I was available."

That's horrible. And you know how they treat rapists in prison, supposedly.
    _

Blog Entries
    I would know.

...I mean, we beat the shit out of rapists.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    So we should've killed the poor bastard instead, so he wouldn't have to have suffered being a rapist in prison. Makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    So we should've killed the poor bastard instead, so he wouldn't have to have suffered being a rapist in prison. Makes perfect sense.
    its not too late...

I like the line "added to Dallas County's nationally unmatched number of wrongfully convicted inmates"

The state that gave us George Bush never ceases to amaze. What percentage of those "wrongfully convicted" are black? What a joke the south is.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

And what happens to the woman in this case? I'm sure she gets a slap on the wrist, and she'll say "my bad! hehe."

That bitch deserves to go to jail for the rest of her life.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip Goshboots
    I like the line "added to Dallas County's nationally unmatched number of wrongfully convicted inmates"
    Keep in mind that this is because they actually keep genetic evidence, unlike most jurisdictions who dispose of it. The lab folks, at least, are doing the right thing. Note that Dallas County is a lot less Republican than it historically was, much like Oakland County around here.
    Last edited by Uncle Mxy; 01-07-2008 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    And what happens to the woman in this case? I'm sure she gets a slap on the wrist, and she'll say "my bad! hehe."

That bitch deserves to go to jail for the rest of her life.

she might be dead..
    twitter.com/screamphoenix

Dead from the rape you mean? She picked him out of a lineup afterwards, so she wasn't dead at that point. Then again, its been 26 years so she just may at this point.
    _

+ Reply to Thread