+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eddie Sutton resigns after DUI, enters alcohol rehab

Blog Entries

Eddie Sutton resigns after DUI, enters alcohol rehab

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2329109

Sutton out for season; cited with DUI

ESPN.com news services

Stillwater police cited Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton with driving under the influence after a Friday traffic accident but did not jail him on a complaint because of a lack of physical evidence, the city's police chief said Monday.

Unrelated to the report (yeah, right --GD) , the university announced Monday that Sutton had asked to take a leave of absence for the remainder of the season.

"Coach Sutton has been dealing with constant back and hip problems the last couple of seasons and after last Friday's accident he feels this is the best decision for his health and for the team," said OSU System CEO and president David Schmidly.

"It has been an extremely difficult season," Sutton said. "With my deteriorating physical condition and other issues, I have been under a tremendous amount of stress. I told Dr. Schmidly I was close to making this decision after the trip to Kansas State because the pain in my back was making it very difficult to coach. After Friday's events, I know it is best to go on medical leave the remainder of the season to address my future health. It is very difficult to step away from the team."

The school said no decision has been made regarding Sutton's plans for next season. University officials said in a statement that they would not comment on the DUI citation because of privacy and legal reasons.

Sutton's son, Sean, who will take over as head coach of the team when Sutton retires, will lead the team the rest of the season.

Police are awaiting the results of blood tests that will confirm whether the 69-year-old was driving under the influence at the time of the accident, Stillwater Chief Norman McNickle said. It could take six to eight weeks to receive the test results.

Under Oklahoma law, driving under the influence can include a range of substances, including prescription painkillers or alcohol.

According to a report in The Oklahoman, witnesses reported smelling a "slight fruity odor" on the coach's breath and seeing a bottle of hydrocodone, a narcotic pain reliever related to codeine, in his SUV. McNickle wouldn't discuss whether alcohol or medication was a contributing factor to the accident.

"I can't say anything more," McNickle told The Oklahoman.

Sutton was not given a field sobriety test at the time of the accident because he needed medical treatment, McNickle said. Before issuing a DUI citation "officers have to have reasonable suspicion to believe the person was under the influence at the time," the chief said, declining to discuss those suspicions because they are part of an ongoing investigation.

Sutton was traveling to the Stillwater airport to fly with his team to College Station, Texas, when the accident occurred Friday. According to a police report, Sutton's sport utility vehicle went left of the centerline on a Stillwater street, corrected and then struck another SUV from behind at a speed of about 60 mph.

Sutton was hospitalized overnight for a head injury and released Saturday after the two-vehicle accident. The occupant of the other SUV received minor injuries and was released at the scene, officers said.

The police department has filed complaints against Sutton for speeding and traveling left of center, the chief said.

Witnesses told police that shortly before the accident, Sutton was unsteady on his feet and struck his head after falling in the parking lot of Gallagher-Iba Arena before entering his vehicle, according to a statement released Saturday by Stillwater police.

Sutton, who resigned in 1989 from a Kentucky program placed on four years' probation by the NCAA, arrived at his alma mater in 1990 with a chance to rebuild the Cowboys' program. At his introductory news conference he said he recognized three years earlier that he had a problem with alcohol and said, "I've dealt with it." He received treatment at the Betty Ford Center.

At Oklahoma State he added to his already impressive record with 15 straight seasons of at least 17 wins. He has taken the Cowboys to the NCAA Tournament's Final Four twice -- in 1995 and 2004.

He entered this season -- his 16th at Oklahoma State and 36th overall -- with a chance to reach 800 wins. If he fell short of the mark, Sutton said he'd have to consider after the season whether to retire or return.

With six regular-season games remaining, Sutton ends the season six wins short at 794. The Cowboys are 13-11 (3-7 Big 12 Conference), and the coach recently criticized his team's mental and physical toughness, calling it the "softest team in 16 years that I have ever coached."

In Monday's statement, Sutton said, "The season has not gone as we wished, but we have a talented and fine group of young men and I look for them to finish the season strong. I won't be on the bench, but I'll be with them."

Assistant coach James Dickey, who took Sutton's place on the Big 12 coaches conference call on Monday morning, said Sutton addressed his players twice by phone Sunday to tell them of his plans.

"I'm sure they were disappointed," Dickey said. "As you can imagine, the players listened intently. But they all wished him the best, told him they loved him. He told them he loved them, to stay on the books and play hard and do their best to beat the Jayhawks tonight."
    Find a new slant.

Ya gotta love your head coach getting a DUI. You pretty much lose all credibility with your players don't ya? How can you discipline them at all for anything off the court when you are boozin' it up and jumping behind the wheel.

Great call!

Quote Originally Posted by DrTre11
    Ya gotta love your head coach getting a DUI. You pretty much lose all credibility with your players don't ya? How can you discipline them at all for anything off the court when you are boozin' it up and jumping behind the wheel.

Great call!
    Eddie Sutton is a 5ine indivisuable with a gratetr ack recurdsd. I thinkj we shuld giv him the beniefit of thre dout.

All joking aside. Sutton is a good guy and a great coach. I'm sure it's more than obvious to his players that he's in a great deal of pain. Let him coach one more year and have him go out in style.

Well, reports are that it was some sort of medication, not booze. DUI's are for any drug "influence" in OK.

He's said he wants to get 800 wins (i think he needs 6 or 7 more), so I could see him coming back to do that next year.

He should just step down for good though.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Eddie Sutton takes leave

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2332196

Sutton takes leave to enter treatment facility

Eddie Sutton announced Wednesday that he is leaving Oklahoma State and will enter a treatment facility for alcohol-related issues. The announcement comes days after Sutton was cited for a DUI.

Oklahoma State announced the move at a news conference Wednesday night, which Sutton did not attend. The legendary coach made his announcement via conference call.

Sean Sutton, Eddie's son, had already been designated to be the school's head coach-in-waiting and will take over on a permanent basis.

Sean Sutton has agreed to a five-year contract that will pay him $750,000 annually guaranteed, a source close to the program told ESPN's Doug Gottlieb.

The latest developments come days afer Sutton left the team on medical leave because of a traffic accent that occured last Friday in which he was injured and cited for driving under the influence.

Oklahoma State announced Monday that the 69-year-old Sutton would take a medical leave and that Sean Sutton would finish this season as coach.

Eddie Sutton said in a statement released by the university that he nearly took medical leave after a Feb. 4 trip to Kansas State because of chronic back pain that was "making it very difficult to coach."

"After Friday's events, I know it is best to go on medical leave the remainder of the season to address my future health," he said. "It is very difficult to step away from the team. But I know they are in great hands."

Under Oklahoma law, driving under the influence can include a range of substances, including prescription painkillers or alcohol. The university said it would not comment on the DUI citation because of privacy and legal reasons.

Sutton spent the night in the hospital with a head injury following Friday's accident in Stillwater.

Witnesses described Sutton's sports utility vehicle as driving dangerously and erratically, forcing cars to swerve out of the way before he hit another SUV from behind at about 60 mph, according to police reports released Monday.

Stillwater police cited Sutton after the accident but did not jail him on a complaint of driving under the influence because of a lack of physical evidence, the city's police chief said Monday.

Police also filed complaints against Sutton for speeding and crossing the center line.

When Sutton came to his alma mater in 1990, he acknowledged he had undergone treatment for a drinking problem and said "I've dealt with it."

In Monday's statement, Sutton said he had been under a tremendous amount of stress because of "my deteriorating physical condition and other issues."

Sutton has weathered other tough times to become the fifth winningest men's coach in Division I history with 794 wins, trailing only Dean Smith (879), Adolph Rupp (876), Bob Knight (866) and Jim Phelan (830).

Under Sutton's command, Oklahoma State made 13 NCAA appearances, including two Final Fours, and had 13 20-win seasons. Sutton appeared in the NCAA Tournament with a record four different schools (Creighton, Arkansas and Kentucky, in addition to the Cowboys), but never won the national title.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

+ Reply to Thread