+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2008 Lions Minicamp Notes

ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- The integration of rookies has officially begun.

The Detroit Lions kicked off their mandatory mini-camp with a Tuesday morning practice and Head Coach Rod Marinelli wasn’t surprised with what he saw from his new rookie class.

“What happens is: all the sudden they’re jolted,” said Marinelli. “We’ve got more in right now (than we did for rookie mini-camp) – we had to add yesterday and the package is growing and now they’re starting to think.

“They’re going to be fine. I like what they’re doing. They have a nice swagger about them as a group in terms of wanting to be special.”

When it comes to bringing together rookies and veterans, Marinelli’s top concern is safety.

“I cover it every meeting,” he said. “I have rules (for) how to have a great practice and safety is No. 1. I hit it right before run-drill everyday – I talk about it again because they get excited and they’ve got to stay off the ground. (If) the ball is loose on the ground, we don’t dive for it.

“If a guy is in a compromising position, I want to hold him up. To be able to practice like I want to practice without pads, there’s got to be an etiquette to it and I’ve just to keep teaching that.”
    LEARNING ON THE FIELD
    Leigh Bodden isn’t a rookie, but this is his first mandatory mini-camp with the Lions.

“(The first practice) was good,” he said. “We had OTAs a couple weeks ago so that got me familiar with everything. Today was pretty much the same thing as what we did a couple weeks ago and we’re just getting more and more comfortable.”

Bodden has been present at the team’s offseason conditioning program since it began in March, but this mandatory mini-camp and the team’s OTA sessions allow him to learn according to his preference.

Bodden finds that he learns better on the field rather than in a classroom.

“I need to learn while I’m on the field,” he said. “All of the stuff in the classroom, I’m not that type of guy – I like to learn on the field. That gets me more comfortable, when I see things and I make plays.

“I can get more and more comfortable with the defensive calls, the looks that the offense gives and what to do and not what to do in certain coverages. (Learning on the field) is the best part for me.”

With the team unable to work in pads, it may seem they are limited in what they can and cannot work on during this three-day camp.

But even without the ability to create collisions, players are able to address different aspects of their game and additionally – for players like Bodden – they can get even more acclimated with the new team around them.

“You’ve just got to show your own position without the pads and just show the coaches your effort by flying to the ball and things like that,” he said. “When the pads go on (for training camp), everything is second-nature and we’ll be allowed to have a little bit of contact.

“(For now, I can’t work on) my press work – it’s always hard to press without pads, but everything else is good to work on without pads, like the off-man and things like that.”

Pads or no pads, Marinelli expects all players to go full speed during practice, which is an art developed over time for these players.

“You definitely have to get good at (practicing at full speed without pads) because guys are competitors,” said Bodden. “Guys are going to go full speed and sometimes you might have a little collision. But for the most part people are professionals (and) they play smart.”

STILL WORKING TO GET BACK
    Bullocks is able to participate in individual drills and some running, but cannot do anything team-related.

For Daniel Bullocks, mini-camp is far less than simply working without pads.

Bullocks is still rehabbing to get back from a knee injury suffered in the third week of last year’s preseason. For this three-day camp, he is limited to individual drills and some running.

“I had a little setback (recently) – my knee had a little swelling so I had to take a few steps back and relax a little bit,” he said. “I was moving a little bit too fast – I was rushing (things) and doing a lot more running. I was so anxious to get back – get out there – it was just killing me (not to be out there).

“So I had to take a step back and just ease up a little bit for right now. I couldn’t run or do anything for two or three weeks. But now I’m pretty much back in the full swing of things.”

Bullocks had to miss the entire 2007 season after the injury at Indianapolis and – for a competitor like him – it has been increasingly difficult to watch his teammates prepare for 2008 and not be able to join in.

The coaching and medical staffs are taking extreme precaution with Bullocks, however, making sure that he is actually ready to come back when they test the waters.

“We’re just going day-by-day,” said Bullocks. “They’re really being careful about it. There isn’t a need to rush it right now – it’s just mini-camp. When it really comes down to it towards training camp, that’s when it’s really going to count. Right now it’s just teaching and learning so it really isn’t necessary for me to be out there going 100-percent.”

Even though being held back is the appropriate thing for Bullocks right now, that doesn’t make it any easier to watch the rest of his team participate in team drills while he has to stand on the sideline.

“It’s tough,” said Bullocks. “Sometimes I see guys out there making plays, celebrating and I think, ‘Man, I can’t wait to get out there and celebrate and make plays.’ It’s tough. It’s real tough.”

For now, Bullocks will continue his rehab process.

“I feel I’ve jumped a whole lot further (than I was at the end of last season),” he said. “I mean, strength-wise I’m a whole lot stronger. I feel more comfortable and now I have more trust in my leg as far as cutting, running, angles – changing direction.

“It feels a whole lot better and I also have a lot more confidence than I did toward the end of the season.”

Despite not being able to participate fully in this mini-camp or the offseason program, Bullocks can sense how close the season is and there will be no rest for the weary when the team breaks for it’s annual six-week vacation prior to training camp.

“I haven’t got any time to relax,” said Bullocks. “I already had my time to relax last season. Before I had surgery I had the time to relax, but now it’s a year-long process. It takes one year to come back 100-percent and sometimes even longer than that. But I can’t afford to take five, six weeks off.

“My schedule’s already planned – I’m still going to do my rehab and continue to do what I do to get ready for training camp.”

Stanton 'reverts back to some old habits'
    by Tom Kowalski
    Wednesday May 21, 2008, 3:22 PM
    Detroit Lions quarterback Drew Stanton, who suffered a knee injury in the first week of training camp in his rookie season last year, is still going through some growing pains. During a few days of Organized Team Activities and three minicamp practices this year, Stanton's passing has been inconsistent.

"Sometimes he reverts back to some old habits. Today, he didn't throw an interception so that was a huge plus,'' said Lions offensive coordinator Jim Colletto after Wednesday's morning workout.

But, during that practice, Stanton attempted throw a deep fade up the left sideline to receiver Devale Ellis. The pass, which was a little wobbly, appeared to die in mid-flight. Ellis stopped and came back to make the catch but it was hardly an artistic success.

"I kind of close my eyes and don't pay attention,'' Colletto said with a smile.

Blog Entries
    Maybe he can play special teams?
    Find a new slant.

I like this Colletto guy's honesty. If it were Marinelli, he'd say, "Its my fault. I haven't taught the fundamentals correctly"
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    that Campbell kid got like a 15 minute piece on NFL Live today, Wendi Nix was at the AlPo...

I think it's going to get to the point where Marinelli is going to be obligated to keep him on the team. And he will be nationally portrayed an ogre if he doesn't.

Hopefully he'll just make it on his own, thus eliminating all irrational decisions, but looking back on our 7th round draft picks...yeah

Marinelli has said repeatedly that Campbell has to earn his spot. I may be alone here, but I like Marinelli and I don't think he is the kind of guy that worrys about what he looks like in the news.

+ Reply to Thread