+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask the WTF handyman

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Ask the WTF handyman

No, I'm not the handyman, but I'm sure we've got one or two here, anybody want to volunteer?

Here's a screening question:

Anybody ever replace a broiler element in an oven? How difficult is it?

If we get a handyman volunteer, this thread could save some of us "pay to have someone else do it" guys a lot of cash.
    Find a new slant.

Awesome idea. My fiancee and I just bought our first house and there are some small projects we'll be working on here and there. Hopefully there will be a handyman or two here to run some ideas by. I'm an idea man, but don't always have the technical know-how to do it the easiest way.

I co-owned a home improvement business (not a handyman business) before I went to college. Never replaced broiler in an oven though.
    Last edited by Fool; 02-20-2007 at 10:20 AM.
    STEW BEEF!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    No, I'm not the handyman, but I'm sure we've got one or two here, anybody want to volunteer?

Here's a screening question:

Anybody ever replace a broiler element in an oven? How difficult is it?

If we get a handyman volunteer, this thread could save some of us "pay to have someone else do it" guys a lot of cash.
    I've replaced a broiler element. It wasn't hard at all. I just wrote a check to the repair man when he was done with the job.

Does this mean I can be the handyman volunteer????

Blog Entries
    Fool sounds like our guy (sorry giffman).

As far as the broiler element, it looks like it connects just like a typical electric rangetop burner, could it be that easy?

Congrats on the house defrocked. How old is it?
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-20-2007 at 10:20 AM.
    Find a new slant.

I can't run a radio program on Sunday about it or anything, but I've replaced and installed and rebuilt a thing or two around the house.
    STEW BEEF!

Glenn is really Glenn Hagey and this is a shameless plug for him. J/k.

I've done a lot of my own little repairs that I've had to look up here and there and can help with a lot of hints. Never done that particular repair.

Great idea for a thread though!
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

<-- Fuck that was quick.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    Any good suggestions for heading off basement flooding when all of this snow melts?
    Find a new slant.

moving. If you have a leeky basement, good luck. My parent's basement used to leak and they tried sealing the walls with some junk you paint on the concrete. It never worked. That stuff just cracked and leaked. A sump pump works, but might be costly to put in. I suggest shoveling your yard and throwing it into your neighbor's. How much snow can you have? Where do you live? i only have about 6-8 inches in my yard.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

+ Reply to Thread