+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31
FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31

Thread: 2008 NFL Draft (Jake Long signs with Miami and will go #1)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    It wouldn't have felt like a Lions draft if we didn't draft a wide receiver.

Good work, Millen.

Well I guess that Kenneth Moore kid we took (WR out of Wake Forest) is supposed to be a KR/PR...

Since we got rid of Troy Walters, we did need one of those...

That's exactly what I was saying I liked about the pick. I wasn't down for us taking a WR at any point unless a guy really slipped a lot, but if he's a return man I'm ok with it.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Kiper
    Detroit Lions: GRADE: C+
    Gosder Cherilus is a right tackle who is an effective run-blocker, which is why the Lions drafted him in the first round. But third-round pick Kevin Smith is the key player in the Lions' draft class. Smith proved at Central Florida he could carry the load, and in my opinion, he'll be the Lions' starting running back in Week 1. Jordon Dizon is undersized for a middle linebacker, but he has a chance to be productive in Detroit's scheme, because he has the ability to cover the deep middle. Fullback Jerome Felton is more effective as a runner than a blocker, but he's a good value pick in the fifth round. Army safety Caleb Campbell went in the seventh round and is big at 229 pounds. Campbell could be an OLB if he puts on 10 to 15 pounds. Cliff Avril could be a decent pass-rusher, although he had only six sacks in 2007. DT Andre Fluellen flashed big-time ability early in his career at Florida State but never lived up to it.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Mosley
    When the Lions selected Army safety Caleb Campbell in the seventh round Sunday, the crowd at Radio City Music City Hall erupted into a "U-S-A" chant. Campbell is attempting to become the first football player to take advantage of a recently implemented rule by the U.S. Military Academy that allows athletes to play professional sports immediately upon graduation.

In a somewhat awkward moment, Campbell used my seat during an impromptu interview session. The Perryton, Texas native (near San Antonio)said he was hesitant to show up because he didn't know if he'd be drafted, but his agent convinced him to make an appearance. He wore his military uniform, which consisted of dark gray pants and a white short-sleeve shirt displaying his rank. And just after he fielded a phone call from Lions GM Matt Millen, Campbell appeared on the ESPN set with Trey Wingo and company. As he made his way into the auditorium, Wingo, Ron Jaworski and Chris Mortensen applauded.

"This is unbelievable," said the 6-foot-2, 229-pound Campbell, who was wearing a Lions cap. "It gives me goose bumps."

I asked Campbell whether he'd received any backlash from former cadets regarding his unique situation.

"I've heard some of that," said Campbell, who was recently featured on ESPN's "E-60." "It's tough for me because as an officer, I trained to take a platoon into battle. It was initially sort of a tough thing, but who's to say I can't still have a career as an officer?"

We had a nice discussion going until some reporter demanded to know who Campbell was supporting in the upcoming presidential election. He wisely responded, "No comment."

Campbell said he hopes to "show a lot of people who are skeptical about the academy's policy that this can really be good."

What kind of player will he be?

Well, Campbell could add some weight to his frame and play outside linebacker or he could lose a little weight and play strong safety. He's a punishing hitter who does a nice job against the run. The Lions will have to find a way to keep him from getting exposed in coverage.

On his off day, which is normally Tuesday in the NFL, he'll be required to speak to local high schools about opportunities in the Army. Say what you will, but I think it's a great move by the powers that be at West Point. Campbell could end up having a major impact on the recruitment of soldiers.

And if high school athletes realize they have a shot at playing professional football, more of them will consider playing for Army. On a second day that held very little drama, Campbell provided a nice storyline.

For all the criticism that Millen has taken, he should be praised for this pick.
    _

Lions draft was universally panned.

What a sad, sad organization, and I thought Russ Thomas was the anti-christ when I was growing up.

Everyone seems to be giving it a C+ to a B. If it still looks that way 3-4 years from now, I'll be ok with it. Its still an improvement for Millen.
    _

Well we have been chasing sexy picks for years and it has gotten us no where. lets see what this does.

+ Reply to Thread