+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is Kwame Brown the key to bringing out the best in Rasheed?

Is Kwame Brown the key to bringing out the best in Rasheed?

Hear me out.

I think Kwame Brown is the best thing to happen to Rasheed Wallace since 2004.

With Kwame on the floor, Sheed:

(A) Doesn't have to guard the other team's center anymore
    (B) Has someone new to "mentor," which he hasn't had since Jermaine O'Neal.
    (C) Has another athletic big next to him that he doesn't have to protect
    (D) Allows him to roam the perimeter on offense without being forced to anchor the paint

I really think Sheed has taken a real interest in developing Kwame as a center. He's definitely been more into the game mentally over the last week or so.

The statistics back me up on this.

With Kwame starting next to him (4 games thusfar), Sheed is averaging 19 points, 12 rebounds and he's shooting a ridiculous %58 clip.

Now, some of this can be attributed to Iverson as well, but Sheed is making hard cuts like I haven't seen in years, he's crashing the glass, he's taking smarter shots, etc. Every now and then you see this from Rasheed, but 4 straight games? No way, at least not since 2004.

I think its a combination of AI and Kwame. He gets to go back to his natural PF spot, plus he's got a new energy with AI here now. I haven't seen or heard about any actual mentoring from him to Kwame. He's had Amir to mentor for the last few years so I'm not sure he's suddenly got someone to mentor when he never did before.
    _

Kwame is more Rasheed's kind of player.

He's a legit 7-foot center with a lot of physical ability but he's never really been coached, and his expectations have crushed his career thusfar. He's still a project even after 7 years in the league.

Kwame also seems like the type of player that's

You Sheed talking to Kwame a ton on the floor and on the bench, where previously he'd be dozing off. Remember when he gave Kwame the personal tutoring session with the clipboard in LA?

While I think Sheed probably likes Amir too, Amir doesn't mesh with Sheed nearly as well as Kwame. Kwame's role allows Sheed to slide back to PF, where he's obviously more comfortable.

Sheed went to the low post more when KB was at center. Maybe thats the agreement. You can slide to PF but you have to post up down there. He did that at first but he's been sliding back out more lately, imo.
    Players meeting my ASS!

there was a play in last night's game when AI tried to hit him cutting to the basket for what would have been a open layup, but Sheed was floating out....he will always be a chucker at heart

Gordon, Villa, RIP,Stuckey-who needs defense anyway?
    contract year, that happened to Sheed.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Asberry
    contract year, that happened to Sheed.
    I really hate to think this, but CTC.

I think that it's a combination of things. It's a contract year, Iverson has brought some excitement, Billups being traded (if you don't play hard you're gone) and to a very small extent, Kwame.

AI gets Sheed a little more room to shoot as opposing big men tend to stay closer to the basket for help D. I really don't know if Kwame factors in much becuase he doesn't play many minutes. Sheed didn't play as well as this when Nazr was here and that was allowing him to play at PF either.

I sure hope Kwame can pan out (and at least be a 20-25 MPG contributor). Amir clearly lacks the muscle and awareness to play full time in the post. Yes, he can develop both, but we're in the business of winning now too.

I think AI coming has done more to motivate Sheed than the contract year. Sheed knows he'll get paid regardless of his play being slightly better. What other big men are there that can dominate in the post (when he wants to) and shoot 3's while playing good defense? I don't think Sheed has to worry about interest from other teams. I think this is more about changing the culture of complacancy than anything.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Guys, the solution is so easy you can't see it.

FLIP SAUNDERS IS GONE.
    Hype?

+ Reply to Thread