+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wings' Franzen re-signs for 11 years

Wings' Franzen re-signs for 11 years

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4061069

DETROIT -- Detroit signed forward Johan Franzen to an 11-year, $43.5 million deal Saturday, keeping him off the free agent market and retaining talent that helped the Red Wings win the Stanley Cup.

Franzen will be paid between $5.5 million and $5 million for the first seven seasons of the contract, a source told ESPN.com. The team said the deal for Franzen, known as Mule, is the second-longest in team history.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Do we still have funds set aside for Hossa?

I think it's safe to say Lilja won't be back next year with the emergence of Ericsson.

Also, Hudler is an RFA, if we signed Hossa, he'd be tough to re-sign right?

If we resign Hossa, Hudler is gone. I was going to buy a Hudler jersey but then they started talking about that possibility so I decided it was probably better to wait. We'll also probably have to get rid of some other guys at the back end. Like choosing between Malts and Kopecky. Start using guys like Helm and Lieno who aren't on big contracts because they're still youngsters.
    _

can't wait for the playoffs to start, hoping we face SL

How do these 11 year contracts affect our cap in a future sense? I know they help out with it right now because it uses the average number, but say he retires in 7 years, does that mean he's still on the cap for 4 more years after retiring or does that all come off the books the second he retires?
    _

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    How do these 11 year contracts affect our cap in a future sense? I know they help out with it right now because it uses the average number, but say he retires in 7 years, does that mean he's still on the cap for 4 more years after retiring or does that all come off the books the second he retires?
    Don't quote me on it, but I believe the NHL's CBA is like the NFL, whereas your contracts aren't guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zekyl
    The contract comes off the books when he retires.

However, If a player is 35 or older and signs a multiyear deal and retires during the contract than it remains on the cap throughout the duration.

My guess is that the league may do something about this process in the next CBA(12 year contracts) but right now, it's smart to take full advantage of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I do so love a train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    People love train wrecks.

I'm not sure about this move yet. I really prefer Hudler and Hossa to Franzen so we'll see what heppens with those two before I throw a hissy fit!

I think Hudler will end up wanting his pay day. I doubt Hossa and Hudler would have fit under the cap. Also, Franzen plays special teams and defense. Hudler does not. Since I think guys like Maltby will be cap casulties fairly soon (or just phased out of the lineup by younger guys), we need guys that are more versitile than Hudler.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

I'm happy with this move because it's cheap. No matter who the Wings sign, there will be more money available. If Hossa wants too much, Holland can sign a top-teir defenseman. To be honest, as much as I love Hossa, great defense is better than great offense. And Lidstrom is not getting any younger.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

+ Reply to Thread