1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ernie Harwell - cancer

Blog Entries

Ernie Harwell - cancer

Find a new slant.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Oof.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

so optimistic in death. I wish I was more like that.

Blog Entries
    I met him when I was young in Lakeland, FL. Classy man. I believe I got his sig on a ball too, but then I had Phil Garner & Jeff Weaver sign the ball, and diminish it's value.

Harwell to visit Comerica Wednesday
    Hall of Famer to meet with Tigers, thank fans for support

DETROIT -- Hall of Fame broadcaster and Tigers icon Ernie Harwell will visit Comerica Park to meet with the team and thank fans for their support on Wednesday night, when the Tigers host the Royals.

Harwell, 91, who revealed earlier this month that he has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer of the bile duct, plans to visit with players, media members and friends before the 7:05 p.m. ET game. He'll take an opportunity to thank fans at some point during the game, though it will not come in a formal ceremony in accordance with his wishes, according to a Tigers spokesperson.

The team has had an open invitation for Harwell to visit ever since he retired from play-by-play broadcasting after the 2002 season, and he has visited several times. At least a couple players, Brandon Inge and Ramon Santiago, were on the team during Harwell's final season as the Tigers' radio voice.

More recently, the club invited him to come out if he wished and felt up to it after his diagnosis. At this point in his battle with cancer, Harwell is strong and moving around well.

"He wants to thank the fans for their love and support and gratitude," Tigers vice president of communications Ron Colangelo said.

Harwell has received countless messages of support from fans since he went public with the diagnosis. The day the news came out, he said, his phone was ringing non-stop. His representative, S. Gary Spicer, also said he has received countless messages of support.

His voice is the best, imo. I remember listening to him on one of those lil transistor radios. Came through loud and clear.

T&P Ernie
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    There's some dude on Facebook that is trying to get Illitch to change the name of Comerica Park to Harwell Park.

If they do it, hpefully they can do it while he's alive.

Comerica moved their HQ down to Texas from Michigan, IIRC, so I wonder if they are going to drop their naming rights?
    Find a new slant.

^ Great idea.
    Players meeting my ASS!

They paid a million dollars for the name. Doubt it.
    STEW BEEF!

Tell them they got their money's worth already.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread