+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Worst Decisions in Video Game History

Microsoft's Fat-Ass Controller
    Year: 2001

Microsoft's Xbox is the epitome of American design, a big ass and heavy box that'll crush your spine if it falls on you. With that being said, the system's developers elected to set up their creation with an equally enormous controller, and thus, the fatty was born. Clearly one of the biggest controllers in videogame history as well as one of the most uncomfortable, the fatty is an absolute beast. Its mammoth grips are so thick that numerous people couldn't get their hands around them, and the awkward button placement, the bizarre location of the white and black buttons, further doomed this controller to the bargain bin. For some strange reason it goes about as well with Halo as a burger and fries, but as for just about any other Xbox game (fighters, especially), the fatty is pretty useless.

What a bunch of fucking pussies. The Xbox has the gratest controller probably ever made. Either my hands are big or its not all that big. You wanna unconfterable pad, talk about the ps2 pad. Fucking handles are so wide apart I feel like I'm spreading my arms.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    man Steve why do you hate on the heavy consensus. most people dont like the controller. more power to you if you do. but on a general scale it sucked. they even knew that enough to try and change it. they didnt change it for the fuck of it. and even the newer ones are that great to me. they are better but not that great.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

The first few that come to mind for me are consoles.

Atari Jaguar anyone?

I remember seeing screenshots for it, being amazed and wanting one really bad, but I was about 11 or 12 and had no cash. By the time I had saved up enough green, the thing had disappeared. Wha happened? Poor marketing, lack of 3rd party support and the Genesis and SNES just crushed it.

When the machine actually hit the streets, the reaction was mixed. Some gamers were excited by the increased power, while some felt that the system fell short of its promises. Some people claimed that the the Jaguar wasn't actually a true 64-bit system, that it was simply two 32-bit processors working in parallel. However, Atari was pressing forward with their advertising campaign touting its 64-bit power, and an impressive number of third-party titles had been announced in development. Unfortunately for these developers, the Jaguar proved very difficult to program for and Atari did not have sufficient development tools. Many Jaguar games were consequently delayed, and others were rushed out the door and were less than impressive. Ultimately, many announced developers simply did not develop any Jaguar titles.
    Second, it's gotta be the Gamecube. I mean it launched in 2001 and it didn't have a DVD player, no online play whatsoever, a whack controller which was unusable for sports and many other types of games, not to mention a disappointing kiddie library of games.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

+ Reply to Thread