+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Bill Simmons "Tayshaun/Summers for Big Baby & expirings" deal

Blog Entries

The Bill Simmons "Tayshaun/Summers for Big Baby & expirings" deal

Assuming that we actually do something with the cap savings and not just pocket it, I like this deal quite a bit.

Click the image to view the full version
    The image above has been resized. Click on it to see the full version.

Basically, we get a cheap but productive PF/C and three expiring deals totaling nearly $7m for the right to shed Tay's contract and Summers.

The Celtics may be motivated to do this even moreso now with Pierce's injury.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    And two more SGs! (right Fool?)
    Find a new slant.

Can we do anything with that cap space? Supposing the cap only drops another 2 mil (word is it's looking betwen 4-7 now) I think we're limited below the MLE. Baby is too small to really start at the 5......not sure we gain a whole lot, but I'm concerned we don't gain much by losing Tay in another year either.

Would gaining 7 mil in space really do anything for us though? Really we'd have to send Max and Wilcox somewhere as well, or RIP to really have enough money for a significant player.

I would suspect Tay would have pretty good value as an expiring next year (along with Wilcox too). I'm fine with trading him now, but he better bring back a good center or we need to move enough to sign one.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Are you guys factoring in Kwame's 4m?
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Also, we could flip some/all of these expirings in another deal at the deadline.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glan
    Are you guys factoring in Kwame's 4m?
    well, we are at 51 mil next year unless Wilcox opts out. The cap is expected to be right around there, so that 7 mil wouldn't put us in the running for any great FA's given the amount of teams who have cleared space for the big names. Would 7 mil really bring us any better player than Tay? We'd need twice that before I'd be confident of getting a good player.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

2010 UFA bigs:

Brad Miller - ok, but old
    Shaq - again, age
    Big Z - another oldie
    JO - getting older too
    Amare - sure
    Bosh - of course
    Boozer - he's a PF though

How many of those guys will take 7 mil to come here? The rest of the bunch will provide even less than these guys and certainly not make us contenders.

our best bet with 7 mil might be Haywood. Would that be enough to win with?

Blog Entries
    See, I'm thinking more like Okafor and one of the Hornets young PGs for the 11m in expirings.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Would anyone think turning Tay & summers into Okafor, Big Baby and a young PG would be a bad thing?
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread