+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Official Chili Appreciation Thread

Blog Entries
    Steak and Shake does have good chili, but I like to go slumming every once in a while and go with the Hormel. It's always better than I anticipate that it is going to be.

Shredded cheddar on top and some saltines to garnish.
    Find a new slant.

Campbell's Chunky soup (chili) is surprisingly good with some proper additives.

I'll throw my own post into this...... My recipe will never win an award, and it might garner death threats from chili purists, but I like it, and so does those who eat it....

Note: Don't get too caught up in the ingredient amounts. I have never made this recipe the same twice. The true idea of it is to ensure that you have equal amounts of the major ingridients before you start. The idea is that the pile of ground meats should more or less equal the pile of other meats and that should equal the pile of vegetables and that should equal the pile of beans.

This recipe makes alot of chili. You need a big stock pot. Best for a party. But I make it once every 6 months or so, eat what I want, then store the rest in ziploc bags in the freezer. Perfect for the next 6 months. Give some ziploc bags to friends, or eat a little once in a while. Cool thing is that it gets hotter as it ages.

1 pd medium ground beef
    1 pd ground pork
    1 pd ground veal
    1/2 pd of smoked bacon (or use 1/2 package of sliced bacon)
    2 pds smoked sausage
    1 can of red kidney beans
    2 cans of mixed beans
    1 can of refried beans
    2 or 3 cans or jars of pasta sauce
    2 packages of chili spice mix (old el paso is one, but I use a hot clubhouse brand)
    2 large onions
    2 dozen fresh white mushrooms
    1 bunch green onions
    1 red pepper, 1 yellow pepper, 1 orange pepper
    minced garlic
    cayenne pepper
    tobasco or other hot sauce
    chili powder
    olive oil

optional: jalapeno or poblano peppers(use with the other peppers)
    bottle of hot sauce. (add after the beans and pasta sauce to heat the chili to desired taste.)

1) Chop everything that needs to be chopped. Thats the bacon, sausage, and veg. Try to chop everything up so they more or less are the same size. Reserve half of the peppers and green onions for later.

2) In a large stock pot, heat a teaspoon or so of the oil. Add bacon. Dash cayenne, chili powder and tobasco on it, and cook till tender. Remove from the pot.

3) Add another teaspoon of oil if needed. Add the sausage to the stock pot. Repeat with the three dashes of spice and sauce. Cook till browned. Remove from the pot.

4) Add more oil if needed. Add all the chopped onion, mushroom and half the peppers. Do the three dashes. Saute. When they begin to soften, add about 3 tablespoons of the garlic. Cook for another minute then remove from the pot.

5) Add more oil if needed. Add all the ground meats. Give double or triple amounts of the three dashes. When meat starts to brown, add 1 tablespoon of garlic. When totally browned, add back the other cooked meats and vegs back into the pot and mix everything together.

6) Sprinkle one package of the chili spice mix on the meats and veg in the pot. Add the cans or jars of beans, then add the pasta sauces. If not enough sauce to properly cover, add a 3rd can of sauce or a little water. Mix and let simmer for 6 hours minimum, but better if at least 12 hours. In the last hour of simmering, add the reserved peppers and green onions and one can of refried beans. The beans will help thicken and give a neat flavour to the chili. If needed add parts of a second can of refried until desired thickness.

7) Serve chili in bread bowls, with shredded cheddar on top. Have some hot sauces on the side for those (like me) who want more kick. Stuff like Da Bomb, Dave's Insanity, Dave's reserved, or whatever else you like.
    \"Think about how dumb the average person is....

Then realize that half the people, are dumber than that.\" - George Carlin

Looks more like gumbo. Interesting combo.

Bet your toilet's hating life. though.

I make a smoked brisket chili that would make you punch your dog in the face.

I'm hungry for chili, even if I've had it three times in the past two weeks.

devilmaster for president

Skyline Cincinatti Chili over spaghetti noodles anyone? I am a Chili purist but don't over look cinci chili. I think it's made with a touch of cocoa or chocolate.

Here's what I am talking about if you don't know.

http://www.skylinechili.com/

Order some and try it

http://www.cincinnatifavorites.com/skylinechili.php

i recently made chili in a crockpot.......de-freaking-licious.

slow cooked for 5-6 hours = priceless.

While I loved chili as much as the next one, chili-mac is where its at.

Famous Bill Walton quotes:

"Shaq's arrogance is an insult to people who think."

Bill: "What, Phoenix? Are they still paying you?"
    Jalen: "Yeah, under the table."
    Bill: "Yeah, just like at Michigan."

“Oh my, Kobe is really putting on a show out there. He’s making Ray Allen look like a sixth grader!”

+ Reply to Thread