+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Franzen, Zetterberg or Hossa?

Blog Entries
    So I was listening to a Kevin Allen interview on WDFN, and I heard about the Wings FA dilemma.

Franzen, Zetterberg, & Hossa are all UFA this upcoming offseason.

Prior to the season starting, it was thought that Hossa would be one year and done, and we would re-sign both Franzen & Zetterberg. Well, apparently, according to Allen, Ken Holland has fallen so enamored with Hossa's play, that he has since leapfrogged both Johan & Hank, and is now #1 priority to sign long-term.

Odds are strong we're going to lose at least one of them. Because if they sign all 3, then they're going to have to get rid of some 'depth guys' like Filppula or Hudler (Jiri is an RFA, btw). Not to mention, Samuelsson is also a UFA (good ridance if you ask me).

So my question is this, of the 3 (Franzen, Hossa, Zetterberg) which two would you sign?

My answer would be Hossa & Zetterberg.

The ages are identical, which surprised me since it seems like Hossa has been in the league forever.

Hossa is 29 years old
    Franzen is 28 years old
    Zetterberg is 28 years old

I love Franzen, but I just think he has less of a track record to suggest he deserves a huge contract like the other two. He's more a product of having superior talent around him rather than being a super star player, like the other two. Not to mention, both Hank & Hossa are better two-way players.

It's a tough choice for Holland to make.

Hank is still #1 on that list. He's still a better overall player than Hossa IMO. I would think Franzen would be the odd man out (if there needed to be one). I thought Hudler was a FA as well. He's lighting it up this year too.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Fuck Hudler.
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Well apparently he's had some sort of realization to play hard %100 of the time. He's 4th in points on the team with half the ice time of the top players.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Well then don't fuck him.
    But I wouldn't keep him at the expense of the other three. So there.

Hudler's a restricted free agent so the Wings have a lot more maneuverability in how they will handle that (unless some team comes along and absolutely throws big money at him).

The other three will be a bit tougher. First of all I'm hoping the NHL will give the cap a big bump which would at least make things easier. I think we can all agree that Franzen is the third on this list in terms of talent and impact (which just tells you how ridiculously talented the Wings really are); he's a great player but the other two are superstars. I would say that Hossa right now has been playing better than Z, but I believe it could be Z's not in full stride after taking time off from the groin injury (or his not being 100% because of it) or it's just another example of how great playing with Datsyuk can be.

If all things were equal (talent, age, impact, intangibles) than Z would have to get the nod. Hossa is a terrific two-way forward, but elite two-way centers have more value than elite two-way wingers. Z also wears that A and has shown he can step it up and dominate in the playoffs.

But really it all depends on what these guys are willing to accept as well. Hossa came to the team knowing he wouldn't get more than 7.5 because no one should make more than Lidstrom. Would both Z and Hossa be willing to take multi-year deals at 7 a year (more or less, depending on how the cap is determined for next year) or even less? There's no doubt that there will be a few teams that can offer each of them much more than that.

To be honest, I try not to think about it too much since it is a bit worrying. It seems pretty much impossible that we'll be able to keep all four of these players. But, at the same time, Holland's pulled off so many remarkable miracles I'm hopeful to say the least.

I'm betting Hossa and Z would both take less money (7 mil isn't chump change) to win here. Franzen has probably hasn't made big money (don't know what he gets now), so I could see him cashing in if the Wings can't give him at least decent money.

I still think they'll move Lilja at the deadline if Meech keeps playing well and Chelios comes back strong. That would free up money for the wingers.

Blog Entries
    Interesting stat on Hudler...

He is in the top 40 in scoring in the league, yet averages only 13 minutes of ice time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Ledezma
    Interesting stat on Hudler...

He is in the top 40 in scoring in the league, yet averages only 13 minutes of ice time.
    Yeah but it could be a "law of diminishing returns" phenomenon with him. I heard Babcock (or whoever is the Wings' coach) say to Kid Rock one night: "That fucking Hudler, I gave him 15 minutes one night, and like magic, after the 13th minute, he killed Chris Osgood with a machetti. That fucker"

So it doesn't look good for Hudler in Detroit unless he's happy with 13 minutes of playing time.

Zetterberg
    Hossa
    Franzen

Zetterberg has the leadership, it seems. Put him on a line with Datsyuk and he'd be putting up better numbers than he is, plus since he's a C he can give a team a whole lot more versatility. He can switch to wing if needed. Hossa is a huge talent, but he doesn't bring quite as much to the table as Zetterberg. I'd rather keep those two but I don't think its happening. Franzen will command some money but not nearly as much as Z and Hossa.
    _

+ Reply to Thread