+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lions fire Mike Martz, Jim Colletto named OC

Lions fire Mike Martz, Jim Colletto named OC

Question -
    (this may deserve its own thread at some point)
    With all the speculation by the Killa (douche) that Martz is gone, who are realistic candidates for OC next season.
    Key on the word realistic. We can run down the list of possibilities, but let's try to also give some notes on whether there would be any mutual interest and how they would fit the team - given our players and Marinelli.

IBGMCC
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    IBGMCC
    Hey, what about...
    Find a new slant.

Miami has a coach the might be available, don't they? Nice pick-up, Glenn.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

I was listening to the radio yesterday, I don't remember which station or who was on, but they were talking about the whole "get rid of Martz" thing as well. The general thought was to bring in a guy that fits what Marinelli has in mind, to pound the ball first. I kind of like the idea. When we actually focused on the running game, we ran the ball well and could work the pass off the run. When we don't pay attention to the running game, teams just stack against the pass and we have a hard time. Martz loves to pass, no matter what RM tells him he's going to pass the ball a million times a game. Why not get a OC that fits what the HC has in mind? And Glenn, if CC is available, count me on the bandwagon.
    _

Blog Entries
    Martz is about the only legit thing about this franchise.

Last I checked, offense wasn't really the big problem with this team, but wait, Rod's SON IN LAW is the DC, you know, the guy that has never even been a DC before?

Will he lose his job, too?

Methinks not.

Could the Lions have run the ball more? Sure, but having Tatum Bell as your #1 back to start the season does present it's challenges, as does having your defense allow the other team to score at will, which necessitates that you abandon the run sooner than you would like to.

Getting out of Detroit is probably the best thing for Martz's career, actually.
    Find a new slant.

I think the only reason he goes, if he does go, is because he refuses to listen to Rod. He's doing that whole ego powerstruggle thing and it causes problems. He may bring in a solid offense, but if he's causing problems and locker-room or managerial rifts, that's a serious issue.
    _

Blog Entries
    Maybe he's pissed becuse the coach's son in law is getting a free pass?

Marinelli should have NEVER been allowed to hire a family member.
    Find a new slant.

But maybe if the defense was given all the weapons the offense gets, they'd do better as well. If we'd spent so many high picks grabbing defensive guys, maybe they'd play up to par like the offense. And we have to remember that the offense is good in spurts. Some games they will come out and dominate, other games they will come out and look like shit and won't be able to stay on the field. Then the defense gets no rest and they look terrible. A big part of the defensive problem is that our secondary needs an upgrade badly.

Just trying to play a little devil's advocate, get some conversation going on this. I'm entirely not sold on the offense or the defense. Both have annoyed me this year on many occasions.
    _

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Martz is about the only legit thing about this franchise.

Last I checked, offense wasn't really the big problem with this team, but wait, Rod's SON IN LAW is the DC, you know, the guy that has never even been a DC before?

Will he lose his job, too?

Methinks not.

Could the Lions have run the ball more? Sure, but having Tatum Bell as your #1 back to start the season does present it's challenges, as does having your defense allow the other team to score at will, which necessitates that you abandon the run sooner than you would like to.

Getting out of Detroit is probably the best thing for Martz's career, actually.
    I haven't been real impressed with Martz at all here (and I was a big fan of bringing him here too). I don't like his play selection at all. Yeah, missing KJ effects your playcalling, but you can't tell me Bell is a huge dropoff. Bell is a good runner, he just doesn't catch the ball well or block as well. That limits you some, but not enough to ruin the offense. We also have TJ as well. Overall, I'd say we are one of the deapest teams at RB. Also, even when KJ was back, we had games with 6 rushing attempts in a game (total). That is terrible. You can't win ball games that way. I'm not saying he is the direct cause of losses or anything, but I don't think we had a huge skid because of the defense. They had a couple bad games, but I think they've played pretty well considering we have 1 ok DE, 2 good DT's, 1 good LB, 1 ok CB and a bunch of misfits. I expected a lot more games like the Philly one for our defense.

Maybe it's a clash with Rod making Martz throw happy. If that's the case, it's no excuse. He shouldn't be doing something to spite Rod, he should be trying to win.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Everyone will see through a Martz firing as just that... a fall guy.

I'm hoping for fall 'guys'. I don't harp on the Fire Millen thing every week, but then it hits you like a ton of bricks...He SUCKS!. Which of these doesn't belong? ...Dumars, DD, Millen? How can we continue with this worthless blank running the team?

Fire Millen, Marinelli, Martz too. Clean house the way Tuna will in Miami.
    Players meeting my ASS!

+ Reply to Thread