+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breaking down Michigan's class of 2006

Breaking down Michigan's class of 2006

Thid thread should contain thoughts, scouting reports, speculation on impact or position change, etc on the 18 recruits in this class. I don't have number of stars next to guys because different sites have different ratings.

note: Michigan State recruiting can go in the recruiting thread or its own thread, not in here. I WILL delete it or move it. This thread is for information, not argument

Here is the class.

Greg Banks Jr. DE 6-6 245 Denver, Col. (Montbello)

Justin Boren OL 6-4 305 Pickerington, Ohio (Pickerington North)

Carlos Brown RB 6-0 195 Franklin, Ga. (Heard County)

Stevie Brown DB 6-0 195 Columbus, Ind. (Columbus East)

David Cone QB 6-6 205 Statesboro, Ga. (Statesboro)

Perry Dorrestein OL 6-7 300 Plainfield, Ill. (Plainfield Central)

Obinna Ezeh LB/FB 6-2 213 Grand Rapids, Mich. (Catholic Central)

John Ferrara DT 6-5 265 Staten Island, N.Y. (Monsignor Farrell)

Brandon Graham LB 6-2 240 Detroit, Mich. (Crockett Technical)

Jason Kates DT 6-4 325 Harrisburg, Pa. (Bishop McDevitt)

Greg Mathews WR 6-3 180 Orlando, Fla. (Edgewater)

Brandon Minor RB 6-0 215 Richmond, Va. (Varina)

Cobrani Mixon LB 6-2 206 Cincinnati, Ohio (Colerain)

Jonas Mouton DB 6-2 212 Los Angeles, Calif. (Venice)

Quintin Patilla LB 6-2 205 Flint, Mich. (Carman-Ainsworth)

Adam Patterson DE 6-3 260 Columbia, S.C. (Richland Northeast)

Stephen Schilling OL 6-5 285 Bellevue, Wash. (Bellevue)

Quintin Woods TE 6-6 220 Flint, Mich. (Flint Southwestern Academy)
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Damn, look at all those outsiders.

13 different states, would have been 14 with Eugene.

Great class for having 19 guys. Only 18 on there. B. Wright the kicker has to wait for Stewart's medical schollie to become available next week to get his.

You also dont have to me the biggest recruit and that is Slocum DT. He will qualify for next season.

Art
    What is a budkow.....isnt that something I shit out of?

When will Slocum's test results be back so we can know for sure that he is available?

I was also going to add Wright, realizing he is missing on the lists until next week.

I also wonder if another scholarship will open next year with Mundy, if he's unable to play anymore.

It was talked about on TheWolverine that Slocum didn't pass his recent attempt at the SAT, but his mentor went on to say he has 6 more chances to qualify, and will keep trying every month until the Fall in hopes of qualifying. UM reportedly is at a 'wait and see' approach reagarding him and if he does qualify, they will take him still.

I heard on 1050 today when they were talking about him. They said Michigan doesn't screw around with shit like this unless a guy is absolutely worth it. That's all I need to hear about how good this cat is.

The Wolverine said he recently took a test and he said he feels really good about how he did. Also, other big name schools are still trying to recruit him an dhis response has been "I'm cool with my school." He's going to be a beast.

About the class, I like it a lot, but I would have LOVED it with Eugene. I can't wait to see Boren and Schilling just pancaking cats in 2 years, leading the way for speedy Carlos Brown.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

Mood's last post here, about what would be happening in two years, really got me thinking.
    In two years we will have some seniors and 5th year guys around for sure, but since you can't bank on who will be here and who won't, I left them out for now. I also left out class of 2007 guys because as Art reminds us in his sig and Jai Eugene reminded us, until they sign it means jack.

So I looked JUST at the class of 2005 and the class of 2006 to see what the core of the team should be in a couple years. Oh boy. I'm telling you there will be HUGE expectations for this squad. Let me lay it out position by position.

QB - Forcier and Cone. This position needs some help, but don't sleep on Forcier. Keep in mind he was a top 15 QB in his class. He just looks like a queer. I'm not feelin Cone at all though.

RB - Grady, Simpson, Criswell, Carlos Brown, Minor, Ezeh. Probably too much talent over here. I expect Ezeh will probably move to LB eventually. Criswell and/or Simpson at fullback. Otherwise, stunnas.

TE - nobody recruited specifically as TE. At least 4 of the DE's in these two classes would be plenty capable, and with 6 DE's total, I expect 2 of them will switch. (Woods and McLaurin?)

WR - Manningham, Bass, Savoy, Mathews. Holy shit! Manningham is already a stud. Bass is like a Breaston - hopefully more consistent. I've heard plenty of Savoy comparisons to Braylon, and Mathews profile says he has hands of glue - like Avant only 2" taller and a bit slower. Plenty of guys to bail out the questionable QB's (still praying for Mallett).

OL - Moosman, Schifano, Zirbel, McAvoy, Ortmann, Boren, Schilling, Dorrestein. Damn. That's one hell of a line. We WILL have a starting line at some point of Zirbel and Schilling at the tackles, Moosman and Schifano at the guards and Boren at center. Then, like Mood said, Grady and Minor will get 6 or 7 per carry up the middle setting up Brown off tackle breaking it to the sideline. Fuck 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

DL - McKinney, Slocum, Taylor, Kates, Patterson at DT. Butler, Germany, McLaurin, Banks, Ferrara and Woods at DE. Like I said, I think some of these guys will end up at TE, but how do you pick who plays on the line? Taylor is already a beast. Patterson has the body of Ben Wallace. Slocum has to be good for Michigan to go through all this. Serious pressure on the QB.

LB - Logan, Graham, Mixon, Patilla. Smal, group now, probably a couple guys joining from either RB or DE. Depending on what Ron English might do, some serious pieces here, with Graham central to it all.

DB - Richards and Sears at CB, Steve Brown and Mouton at S, Harrison can do either. Perfect group for a Nickle package.

Special teams - Mesko booms punts and Wright has kicked a 57 yarder I believe. With guys like Manningham and Bass to return them, guys like Harrison on coverage (learned from some big mistakes this past season), we should certainly control special teams.

See why the expectations should be insane on these cats?

QB - Forcier and Cone. This position needs some help, but don't sleep on Forcier. Keep in mind he was a top 15 QB in his class. He just looks like a queer. I'm not feelin Cone at all though.
    This spot is reserved for a stunner recruit, ie Mallet or someone else to step up.

RB - Grady, Simpson, Criswell, Carlos Brown, Minor, Ezeh. Probably too much talent over here. I expect Ezeh will probably move to LB eventually. Criswell and/or Simpson at fullback. Otherwise, stunnas.
    Simpson is rumored to be a transfer, maybe before this upcoming fall. I wouldn't count on him ever being much more than a bit player, especially if he stays at UM and doesn't move to fullback.

TE - nobody recruited specifically as TE. At least 4 of the DE's in these two classes would be plenty capable, and with 6 DE's total, I expect 2 of them will switch. (Woods and McLaurin?)
    To answer some of your TE question, I am quite sure that Butler was brought in as a TE, and spent his entire redshirt year playing there, so he wouldn't be on the DLine.

In addition to Bulter (couldn't remember if it was Butler or McLaurin - or both) Lloyd confirmed some of my thoughts about Woods possibly playing TE in his press conference.
    On Quintin Woods:

"I think he could be, and where we saw him on film really excel, the thing that really excited us about him was as a defensive end. This guy is really a great athlete. I saw him play basketball late in the recruiting process on Friday evening. And I mean, he has been recruited by a number of basketball schools, so this guy is a great athlete. I think certainly, in our offense, the tight end position is one that he's very capable of playing. I think what we'll do when he gets here, and what I've told him is, where do you want to play. The truth is that he has not played long enough to where he may have a great feel for what is his best position. He is a young guy that as he gains experience, he'll be a great player, because he is tough and it's very obvious in the film that he has a great upside. Where he's going to end up, I don't know. But when you look at a guy, and of course Mike DeBord looks at every single player, and when you look at a guy like that, and primarily as a defensive player, then you see him play basketball, and that's what Fred Jackson told us, wait until you see this guy play basketball, you're going to say he'd be a great tight end. So, we'll just have to see."

+ Reply to Thread