+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bill Clinton hits the big 6-0

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.

Thumbs up Bill Clinton hits the big 6-0

Still young at heart, Bill Clinton hits the big 6-0

2 hours, 56 minutes ago

NEW YORK (AFP) - Former US president
    Bill Clinton -- now a globe-trotting activist who seems far from retiring, and never far from the limelight -- turned 60, celebrating with family and friends despite his professed distaste for becoming a sexagenarian.
    ADVERTISEMENT

"President Clinton will be spending his birthday Saturday with good friends, his wife and daughter," spokesman Joe Perry said Friday. Perry did not say whether the celebration would take place at Clinton's home in New York or elsewhere.

But Clinton, something of a symbol of his baby-boomer generation in the United States, has not really warmed to slowing down, or to the upper ranges of age.

"In just a few days, I will be 60 years old. I hate it, but it's true," he told reporters this week on the sidelines of a world
    AIDS conference in Toronto.

"For most of my working life, I was the youngest person doing what I was doing. Then one day I woke up and I was the oldest person in every room," said Clinton, who was a youthful 46 when he was first elected president, in 1992.

In honor of Saturday's milestone, the William J. Clinton Foundation website offered visitors a chance to wish the former president a happy birthday and make a donation to his charitable foundation.

"Now that I have more days behind me than ahead of me, I try to wake up with a discipline of gratitude every day," Clinton -- who left office in 2001 and has since undergone heart surgery and devoted himself to his foundation -- said in Toronto.

"Discipline" might not be the word his critics most immediately associate with Clinton, who was famous for his fast-food chomping and impeached for perjury concerning his affair with a White House intern.

But he seems to have followed the productive post-presidency plan developed by Jimmy Carter, a Nobel laureate whose good works for democracy, housing and development have left a lasting legacy at home and abroad.

Clinton, whose wife, Hillary, is a US senator representing New York, started a foundation that keeps him engrossed in tackling the challenges of
    HIV/AIDS and global poverty, redeveloping US cities and battling climate change.

A former chubby kid, he has even launched an initiative to encourage better nutrition for US youth.

"The brush with death I had maybe had the biggest impact of all" on his decision to take up the cause of combating childhood obesity, Clinton told CNN television last year, recalling his quadruple heart bypass surgery in September 2004.

"I realized that one more time I've been given another chance, and I wanted to make the most of it."

The charismatic man from Hope, Arkansas has lived his own American dream, having been born into poverty on August 19, 1946 and never knowing his father -- who died before he was born -- only to make a remarkable odyssey to the White House.

While still relatively youthful, Clinton -- a veteran of two tumultuous White House terms -- was not the youngest man to be elected to the White House. That distinction belongs to his hero, John F. Kennedy, who was 43 when he took office. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

Theodore Roosevelt was even younger than Clinton or Kennedy -- 42 years old -- when he took office in 1901 upon the assassination of William McKinley.
    if you hate bill clinton, you're obviously fat, ugly, and insecure like rush limbaugh. That is all.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060819...e_060819163318
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

"President Clinton will be spending his birthday Saturday with good friends, and then his wife and daughter," spokesman Joe Perry said Friday. Perry did not say whether the celebration would take place at Clinton's home in New York or elsewhere.

I'm sure some of it will. As for where the rest of it happens, I think we can all guess.
    STEW BEEF!

if you hate bill clinton, you're obviously fat, ugly, and insecure like rush limbaugh. That is all.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060819...e_060819163318

True that. And yes, at the moment, he has a wife and daughter.
    Destiny

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    The part I don't get is how Clinton's standards fell low. He was with total hottie Elizabeth Gracen in 1983 when he was a newbie guv'nor. As Pres, he should've been targetting the Marilyn Monroes of the '90s. C'mon Billy boy, JFK gave you a fucking roadmap -- who needs two hands and a cigar! I guarantee you that Clinton's reputation doesn't suffer in the annals of time if the world found out that he'd been banging Liv, Ashley, and|or Nicole.

+ Reply to Thread