+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Return of the Fairness Doctrine?

^ agree.
    Players meeting my ASS!

I'd point to Obama using youtube for his weekly address as one more example of why "equal time" on the public airwaves is an obsolete concept when information and messages can flow over/under/around them.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I don't think the Fairness Doctrine itself is obsolete. I just think its place is limited, a function of today's technology. I can expose myself to, say, the Ten Commandments anywhere I want to without much hassle. That doesn't mean I'd want sculptures of 'em in government buildings. I think that similar principles should apply to the public spectrum, to whatever extent that they can be reasonably enforced.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermy
    This is bullshit like being able to control cursing on the airwaves is bullshit. If you don't like it change the fucking channel.
    Throw in the Hate speech legislation and the 1st amendment is in the same shape as the 4th.

Then they come for the 2nd.

Meet the new boss, finishing the job of the old boss.

Tyranny and Corporatism!
    OCP!
    Hype?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    I don't think the Fairness Doctrine itself is obsolete. I just think its place is limited, a function of today's technology. I can expose myself to, say, the Ten Commandments anywhere I want to without much hassle. That doesn't mean I'd want sculptures of 'em in government buildings. I think that similar principles should apply to the public spectrum, to whatever extent that they can be reasonably enforced.
    I don't see where establishment clause/separation of church and state issues like the commandments really factor into consideration of political expression and the fairness doctrine.

A government entity putting up some sculpture of the Ten Commandments is broadcasting political expression, in religious terms. There's not very much distinction between government land and government airwaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    There's not very much distinction between government land and government airwaves.
    Sure there is. In the case, for instance, of a government building displaying the commandments at a courthouse, the government is actually the occupant and end user of the land. There's no private enterprise involved.

In the case of the airwaves, the government is the landlord and the regulator but private enterprise is the occupant/end user of those airwaves. A very different circumstance and very different role for government... which is why a televangelist on the public airwaves doesn't present the same sort of conflict as the commandments in the courthouse.

In my mind, they're both government assets with in-your-face aspects, and their usage shouldn't be unduly skewed to any one particular political view. I have no illusions that it will mean very much in practice, of course.

FWIW, it was a televangelist that led to the Fairness Doctrine being blessed by the Supreme Court. The televangelist went too far in his poltiical attacks, and the other side fought through the courts to get a response.

Blog Entries
    Debbie Stabenow is making headlines trying to bring "fairness to the airwaves"...

I seriously don't understand why this is even a topic of concern for ppl like Stabenow, Schmuer, Obama....etc.

I mean seriously, you have the Oval Office, majority in the House, majority in the Senate, and majority of the governorships, if ever there was a time where you had 'control of the country', it is right now...

I find it hard to believe that talk radio is keeping them from moving forward.

The hypocricy here has just gone completely over the top.

Stabenow married an Air America mucketymuck:

http://www.freep.com/article/2009020...oney+gets+jail

Note that Obama hasn't been talking Fairness Doctrine. It's some of the Congressional Dems who are leading this silly charge.

+ Reply to Thread