+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: DLP v LCD v LED

Yikes, really? I guess I'll stick with plasma. You can get a quality 54 inch one for 1500 bucks. I can't see why I'd need one any bigger than that.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

DLP has a lamp but it is not what the industry calls rear projection. Different techno.

Plasma is full-on glass right? How much was the filter? Is the filter for eliminating glare from the glass?
    Players meeting my ASS!

uh, it came with the filter. I have no glare really. If you have a household light that you would be in it's direct reflection (you can see the bulb from within the fixture if there were a mirror where your TV is) you see a dull glare on the screen. If you are not in the direct path you get no glare. We have can lighting in our kitchen (the room the TV faces) and the living room lights are on the cathedral ceiling. So there isn't much chance for glare except from the sun (which is eliminated from the filter well).

If you had all floor lamp lighting and it would be reflected at you, then you'd probably get a glare of the LCD anyway, wouldn't you? EDIT - I am looking at my PC monitor (LCD) that way and I get the same dull glare as I would on my plasma. It's a very muted glow, but that is it. My plasma also has the same texture as my PC monitor, not that glassy feel like the Samsung plasmas have.

I suppose those high gloss Samsungs are probably more scratch resistant, but mine is mounted on the wall with a cabinet under it. You'd be hard pressed to scratch it on accident.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

The kitchen is behind the couch that faces the TV.

There's a grouping of furniture in front of the TV. Behind that is the bar/counter then the kitchen. I have pendant lights, end table lights, plenty of cans, hood lighting and undermount flourescents. Fairly common kitchen lighting.

As far as the glare from the LCD, no, I don't get glare. Thats the biggest selling point of a LCD imo. They seem to be great in a room with a lot of lights like this one.

Also there are the bay windows and a huge door windo combo. So glare is an issue in this location.

I will go back and check out the filters. I think I was looking at Sony's not Sams, iirc.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Yeah, I would expect the same lack of glare on my TV that you have now. That doesn't translate to all plasmas of course (most are that glassy front). But I would suspect all Panasonic's with the anti-glare filter would look like mine.

I wouldn't touch those Samsung plasmas unless it was in a basement and you just used it as a theatre room. Even then I still wouldn't because I am making my basement into a functional rec room (pool table maybe, dart board, treadmill) and would want it viewable with lights on. Also, we have a garden level with exposed windows, so lots of light there too.

+ Reply to Thread