31. Ndamukong Suh* DT Nebraska 90
    32. Percy Harvin* WR Florida 90
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Here is McShay's mock, which was last updated on 12/31
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft0...odd&id=3803148

(INSIDER)
    Find a new slant.

The top 5 leads me to believe they'll have a very hard time trading #1 (if they wanted to):

1. Detroit Lions (Record: 0-16) -- Sam Bradford**, QB, Oklahoma

The Lions could have a tough choice here between Bradford and Georgia's Matthew Stafford. Bradford could use another year of experience and improved strength. There will also be concerns regarding his transition to the NFL from a shotgun-heavy offense at Oklahoma, where he is afforded the luxury of a first-class supporting cast. On the positive side, Bradford excels in the areas most critical to being a successful quarterback in the NFL: mental makeup, intangibles and accuracy. If the Lions aren't sold on any of the available quarterbacks in the upcoming draft, selecting an elite offensive tackle like Andre Smith wouldn't be a bad option. Just ask the Dolphins how the Jake Long pick worked out.

2. St. Louis Rams (2-14) -- Andre Smith*, OT, Alabama

While his suspension for improper dealings with an agent is disappointing, it doesn't appear to point to a larger issue regarding Smith's character. Assuming those concerns are unfounded Smith should be the first offensive lineman taken off the board. He's not as polished as Long was coming out of Michigan, but Smith possesses better overall physical tools. It's no secret the Rams wanted Long badly last year so it's safe to assume Smith will be high on their wish list a few months from now.

3. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14) -- Matthew Stafford*, QB, Georgia

Tyler Thigpen showed some promise as a fill-in starter this season, which gives the Chiefs some flexibility at No. 3. There are people inside the Chiefs organization that are very high on Stafford, and for good reason. He plays under center in something close to a pro-style offense at Georgia. He faced top competition in the SEC and did not have a great supporting cast around him. Stafford also has a rifle for an arm and is very accurate when is footwork is correct. His inconsistency and lapses in judgment are concerning, which is why we could have an interesting arms race between Stafford and Bradford if both are available for the upcoming draft.

4. Seattle Seahawks (4-12) -- Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

Seahawks fans would certainly second-guess passing on a potential game-breaker like WR Michael Crabtree. It doesn't take much research, however, to realize the risks of taking a receiver this early in the draft. Curry is emerging as the top overall linebacker in the 2009 class because of his combination of physical tools, toughness and leadership. Teams build defenses around high-intensity guys like Curry and the Seahawks could be in the market if Leroy Hill bolts via free agency.

5. Cleveland Browns (4-12) -- Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State

It remains to be seen who will be making the decisions and what schemes the Browns will be running in 2009. They could be in the market for a rush-linebacker with this pick and a playmaker like Crabtree would be intriguing as well. Jenkins makes the most sense right now, though. The local product is an experienced and versatile playmaker who would instantly upgrade the athleticism of the secondary and also brings special teams value.
    The only way I see that happening is if a team is desperate to get Smith and knows St Louis would take him (or the Lions). Smith is going to need a monster combine to garner interest for a trade down (or one of the QB's to blow up off the charts).
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    I wonder how long it's been since neither a UM or MSU player was not taken in the first round?

That's an awkward sentence, sorry.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    2006, n/m
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The next 6 posters
    I think it was 2006
    Find a new slant.

2006. First one was Eric Smith (last pick of 3rd round). Avant was first Michigan player in 4th round.

Ringer is rated #77 overall, the 5th RB after Moreno, McCoy, Spiller and Green.

That would be a tall order to go in the first round unless he has a stellar combine. he's shown his strength, he'd have to display some good speed to crack the first round IMO.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    2006, n/m
    lol, I was typing my post before this.

Prior to that it was 1997 when Rod Payne (C - Michigan) was taken in the 3rd round first.

Prior to that was 1983 when "we" took Rich Strenger from Michigan in the 2nd round.

I would heavily consider taking Aaron Curry with our first pick.

+ Reply to Thread