+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brian Kelly to leave CMU for Cincinnati, is Harbaugh coming to Mt. Pleasant?

Blog Entries

Brian Kelly to leave CMU for Cincinnati, is Harbaugh coming to Mt. Pleasant?

Anybody got anything on the rumors about Harbaugh to CMU?

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=341&p=2&c=597184

Kelly to Replace Dantonio at Cincinnati

Brian Kelly

By Thomas W. Mehl

The Central Michigan University football program is searching for a new head coach. Late this afternoon, former CMU head coach Brian Kelly announced that he had accepted an offer to be the new head coach at the University of Cincinnati.

Chippewas Insider has learned from multiple sources that former CMU head coach Brian Kelly has accepted an offer to be the new head football coach at the University of Cincinnati.

Kelly replaces Mark Dantonio, who last week was named the new head coach at Michigan State.

Multiple sources have confirmed that Kelly held a team meeting at 5 p.m. this afternoon at which time he informed the CMU players that he was leaving for Cincinnati.

A source close to the CMU program has also indicated that CMU Associate Head Coach Jeff Quinn is expected to coach the team in the upcoming Motor City Bowl, scheduled for Dec. 26 at Detroit's Ford Field.

The Chippewas just completed a successful 2006 campaign which saw them go 9-4, winning their first Mid-American Conference Championship in 12 years with a 31-10 win over Ohio University.

Two likely candidates to replace Kelly at CMU include Grand Valley State University head coach Chuck Martin and former CMU assistant and current West Virginia University assistant Butch Jones.
    Find a new slant.

If Harbaugh did in fact go to CMU, it would be a nice stepping stone for him before getting the eventual Michigan job someday, if that would ever happen.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Blog Entries
    Well, Stanford just fired Walt Harris, and from what little I know of him, his coaching style that emphasizes the passing attack might make him an interesting guy for the CMU job.

I assume that Harris will have to take a step back to regain some credibility. (If he wants to remain a HC, that is)

I also wonder how long CMU will continue hiring guys that will use them as a stepping stone to other jobs?

But what choice do they have, really?

Who has CMU as their dream job? WTFChris?
    Find a new slant.

This guy is coaching my team in the Motor City Bowl? We're doomed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Quinn

That's what I get for trying to look up his coaching career.
    Last edited by WTFchris; 12-04-2006 at 03:24 PM.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

We all know how it worked out for DeBord. Go from OC at UM to HC at CMU, only to go back to UM and have to take a demotion from his previous gig and coach special teams until he could get back to where he was 10 years ago.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

I doubt anybody but a CMU alum would have CMU as their dream job. Anyone else would look at CMU as a place to make a name for themself and get a BCS conference job. Until the MAC gets the respect that a conference like the Big East even has, their teams won't be destinations. That's why I root for all MAC teams in bowl games. I'd like to see the MAC become the best conference in football after the Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Big East and Big 12 (in no order)...and maybe on an even playing field with the Big East.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Actually, I was implying that it is your dream job, Chris.
    Find a new slant.

nah, I'll take the basketball job. It always rains at football games there.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    This guy is coaching my team in the Motor City Bowl? We're doomed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Quinn

That's what I get for trying to look up his coaching career.
    Well played Chris. I'm seriously cracking up!

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

Is Cincinnati [I]really[I] a step up though? Kelly was applying at every job opening from Iowa State to WalMart. He must have really wanted out of CMU.
    As for the UM gig, am I the only one who thinks that it is Ron English's job to lose?

+ Reply to Thread