+ Reply to Thread

Thread: West Coast Trip #1 (Amir missed team flight)

Blog Entries

West Coast Trip #1 (Amir missed team flight)

A couple of notes from

Amir misses team flight
    Well, look who was sitting two rows ahead of me on my Northwest flight to Seattle Saturday. Amir Johnson had missed the team flight -- which left at 10 a.m. -- so he had to pay his own way onto the Nwest jet that left at 12:30 p.m.

He said his truck blew a tire on Walton Road on his way to the airport. Obviously, he had to be running late, or else he would have still been able to get the airport on time (flat tire or not). He will probably be fined, but there won't be any other discipline taken. Johnson, let's not forget, is still 20 years old. You pay these guys adult salaries and you expect them to act all grown up -- truth is, they're not. Amir is a good guy, he just made a mistake.
    Not so wild West
    The Pistons are going out West at a good time. The combined records of the five teams they will play over the next 10 days -- Sonics, Blazers, Warriors, Lakers and Kings -- is 6-20. All of those teams, with the possible exception of the Kings, will be much tougher opponents later in the season. The Pistons would do well to take care of their business on this trip. Winning four of the five (do-able, for sure), would give them an 8-2 start -- impressive considering they played eight of the 10 on the road.

Keep an eye on Antonio McDyess. He is playing through some pain in his left shoulder. He had his left arm pulled back at an odd angle and he stretched some ligaments in the shoulder. It's one of those things that he will aggravate throughout the course of a game -- reaching for a pass, stretching out to grab a rebound, that kind of thing.

The Pistons will get their first look at rookie Kevin Durant on Sunday. Chauncey Billups played with him a lot over the summer with Team USA and gave him high marks. He's still real raw, and doesn't appear to like a lot of rough play, but he has wondrous skills for a guy who's what, 6-9?

It must have been frustrating for Joe Dumars and John Hammond to watch teh fourth quarter Friday. Sure, they were happy the Pistons had already secured the win against a disinterested Clippers team. But finally, Amir Johnson got a chance to play 12 straight minutes. Finally, a chance for the kid to get some work. So what happens? Flip Murray decides to hog the ball. They never ran a single play for him. The only time Johnson touched the ball was when he got an offensive rebound. That's ridiculous. Flip Saunders should have -- and maybe he did afterwards, I don't know -- scold Murray for that. It was selfish and pointless. Murray's next contract isn't going to be based on numbers he puts up in garbage time.
    I do that "teh" thing all the time when trying to type "the".

Omigosh, I have something in common with Chris McCosky!

By the way, you people have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the NBA.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    They should take care of the winless Carlesimo's tomorrow...

Blog Entries
    Blakely on Amir

Johnson misses team flight
    by A. Sherrod Blakely
    Saturday November 10, 2007, 12:20 PM

SEATTLE -- Amir Johnson just can't seem to catch a break, it seems. The latest setback isn't that big a deal, but it is noteworthy because, for whatever reason, things just don't seem to be going right for kid.

He had some car problems heading to the airport, and wound up missing the team plane bound for Seattle.

I know this because when I boarded my flight to Seattle, Amir's face was literally the first one I saw.

"Car problems," he said after I gave him a "Kid, now what happened?" kind of look.

I really like Amir, and I'm just as convinced as the Pistons are that he's going to be a really special player.

But when setbacks keep popping up, like the sprained left ankle injury, the sore Achilles that came later, missing the team plane because of car problems ... you have to wonder if he's just one of those talented players that, for whatever reason, has an inexplicably long run of bad luck!

I hope for the kid's sake, that's not the case.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    How could he say "things aren't going right for the kid"?? He was given a 12 million dollar contract for proving absolutely nothing...I love Amir to death, but it's time to grow up, your not getting paid a measly 6 figures anymore...

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wil Ledezma
    How could he say "things aren't going right for the kid"?? He was given a 12 million dollar contract for proving absolutely nothing...I love Amir to death, but it's time to grow up, your not getting paid a measly 6 figures anymore...
    Growing up at 20 years old and sitting on millions with no college education and possibly a mediocre high school education(you never know what classes may have passed him because he was the star blue chip athlete)? Thats a shaky request.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Blog Entries
    True...

As long as he's sufficiently contrite and doesn't make a habit of it, I don't see it as a big deal. Shit happens, even grown ups run late sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by geerussell
    doesn't make a habit of it
    That's the biggest thing right there. If we start seeing stuff like this a lot, then we can worry.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I've missed two flights due to car problems (my car in one place, rental car breakdown in another), and I doubt I've flown as much as a player in his 3rd NBA season. Traffic around Walton sucks right now, too. I'm not losing sleep over this seemingly-isolated incident.

+ Reply to Thread