+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: MLK Day

Quote Originally Posted by iamme

i don't understand what you're expecting. who is your gripe with? the masses? the government? the school system?
    the school system mostly. Kids still view it as a black history type of thing and they should be telling them more specificly what he was about.
    The masses would be second place though. Because they gave him meaningless holiday.

For example on Independence day we shoot off fireworks in tribute to bombs and bullets and what not. So on MLK day why don't people spray hoses in the air to remember the firehoses during the protests or something? People don't want to remember any struggles but they want to think everyone hated each other because of skin tone and then MLK said 'stop it' and the problem was solved. That's what the holiday represents and that's why it's fucked up. The problems of racism and poverty are not solved, MLK's dream is still just a dream and everyone wants to act like it was rainbows and lollipops since blacks got to shit in the same spots whites do.
    people like you and i are discussing and remembering what MLK Jr. did for the greater good of humanity. maybe someone who didn't know is doing some reading right now and is blown away by what the man did.
    I don't think that's very likely. do you?

I spent my MLK day in Highland Park. Me and a couple of my friends were messing with a computer and talking to these girls we had over. Then we went to the local Coney Island. As soon as we ate our meals we were told to leave by the manager. He didn't like us talking to each other in his establishment. We didn't do anything wrong and we were the only people in the whole restaurant, so it's not like he needed seats for customers. He just got nervous seeing so many black people (i'm the only white dude) in his place without food on there plate. He thought he'd have to provide his heat and shelter to the whole community soon so he kicked us out in the cold. happy MLK day right?
    k

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    great story that doesnt prove your point. if MLK was supposed to drastically change that situation for you, then you are expected some serious bs.

might as well base the rest of your life on that situation. it should be a defining moment in getting rid of MLK Jr. day. :?

draw what you please from MLK day. its obvious that you will regardless of any and everything. :roll:
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach
    great story that doesnt prove your point. if MLK was supposed to drastically change that situation for you, then you are expected some serious bs.

might as well base the rest of your life on that situation. it should be a defining moment in getting rid of MLK Jr. day. :?

draw what you please from MLK day. its obvious that you will regardless of any and everything. :roll:
    the problem isn't there is too much MLK day.

you're misunderstanding my argument. I'm not saying we should do away with MLK day, I'm saying we should do MORE for MLK day because all the man had was beliefs, and people don't do enough to try to put those beliefs in action. The whole day consists of people pretending that his dream became a reality. I really don't understand why you have taken such an issue with what i'm saying.
    k

Quote Originally Posted by koolaid
    people like you and i are discussing and remembering what MLK Jr. did for the greater good of humanity. maybe someone who didn't know is doing some reading right now and is blown away by what the man did.
    I don't think that's very likely. do you?
    don't paint the world with the broad strokes of your cynical paintbrush. don't look now, but you and i are discussing it right now. on TNT, the NBA did a huge tribute to MLK. so, yeah, it is pretty likely.

I spent my MLK day in Highland Park. Me and a couple of my friends were messing with a computer and talking to these girls we had over. Then we went to the local Coney Island. As soon as we ate our meals we were told to leave by the manager. He didn't like us talking to each other in his establishment. We didn't do anything wrong and we were the only people in the whole restaurant, so it's not like he needed seats for customers. He just got nervous seeing so many black people (i'm the only white dude) in his place without food on there plate. He thought he'd have to provide his heat and shelter to the whole community soon so he kicked us out in the cold. happy MLK day right?
    this one anecdote is supposed to show that MLK Jr. Day is a sham?

you're misunderstanding my argument. I'm not saying we should do away with MLK day, I'm saying we should do MORE for MLK day because all the man had was beliefs, and people don't do enough to try to put those beliefs in action. The whole day consists of people pretending that his dream became a reality. I really don't understand why you have taken such an issue with what i'm saying.
    here's what you said:

My problem is his impact on society is not shown by the day what so ever, therefore it's dumb. IF there was something tied in to the day then it would make sense.
    the day is celebrated to acknowledge what he did and what he stood for. the onus is on YOU to take the next step. the next step is to study what he did and what he stood for....and then find out what it means to you. school isn't going to make MLK applicable in your life.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.

the problem isn't there is too much MLK day.

i take issue with what you base your perspective on. lies.

its not even a deep thing. but you're full of shit on this. you paint an untrue picture of the scenario through your own narrow negative tunnel perspective. you generalize a ridiculous idea that everyone pretends on the day. you totally ignore anything good that comes from the day so you dont have to be wrong in your mind. thus its pretty pointless at this point. you're stubborness is making you lost to the reality of things.

nobody brought up anything naive. nobody said everyone gets it right on MLK day. but we accept that only a few are gonna really get it and thats important. but whatever as far as you say these people dont exist and everyone is a fake wearing a halloween mask today. :roll:
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

[quote="Rorschach"]
    ummm you never made this complaint for none of the white guys who get a holiday..shit, why would you find a dislike in MLK getting one. i mean damn, first you got anthony trying to compare it to religious values. now this.
    I don't have a problem with MLK getting a holiday. My problem is his impact on society is not shown by the day what so ever, therefore it's dumb.
    Agreed. Just yesterday I saw a group of black folks getting hammered with a fire hose because they wanted to drink at a whites only drinking fountain, and I thought to myself, damn, it's really too bad that King guy didn't bet more love when he was around.

See, Bush totally cares about black people.

aslongastheiralreadydead
    STEW BEEF!

+ Reply to Thread