+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Joe Dumars on WDFN 6-5-06 (recapped)

Joe Dumars on WDFN 6-5-06 (recapped)

...he has already said at his press conference today that Flip Saunders WILL remain as coach of the Pistons, and his priority is to add scoring punch to the bench.

He said he thinks flip has a much better feel for the team now, and who can and can't handle heavy minutes. He's pleased with the job Flip saunders did this year, and he expects him to do better next year.

He said however, that he WILL not tolerate players using fatigue as an excuse.

He said he wants to keep the starting 5 intact, but he will not overpay for ben wallace.

More to come at 4:05.
    Last edited by Kstat; 06-05-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Joe wants 8 significant guys, not 6 (like it is now)

He'll entertain offers, but he's not looking to trade any of the "key guys".

"We have to get into the paint".
    Find a new slant.

listening now....

there could be a nuclear bomb heading to michigan and Joe D could convince me everything would be ok.....long live Joe Dumars.

He's Bill Davidson's Karl Rove.

Blog Entries
    Whoa.

Joe says he's disappointed that Delfino didn't get playing time and he let Flip know that he's upset about that.
    Find a new slant.

Full recap:

-Joe thinks "we got away from who were were" in the playoffs. He said he wasnt referring to defensive mentality, he was referring to the nasty attitude and playing with a chip on the shoulder.

-He said this team needs its "edge" back, or he doesnt think this team can win another title.

-He said he cant continue to depend on the same guys every year. You must add hungry players in order to keep winning.

-He said he would entertain offers for his top 6, but he wont be actively looking to trade. He said he'd rather have a "top 8" rather thana top 6.

-adding inside scoring is a MUST, wether it be a slasher or a post player.

-He wants other bench players to take some defensive focus off McDyess.

-He said Flip understands better how it works in this organization than he did a year ago, specifically winning in the regular season.

-Joe said that you do not win 64 games and reach the ECF with a team whose window is closing. He still beleives in the core group's ability to win a title.

-He said that he's not in any hurry to move Billups, Rip and tay, three guys that he believes that are in their primes. He side-stepped around addressing Ben and Sheed.

-He said that he will make a "fair"offer to ben, but he cant say any specifics until july 1. He said he's "open" to options with ben, no matter what direction he wants to go in his career. He will do what's right for ben, but also having an eye to what's right for the team.

-Asked if he's thought about scenarios for ben leaving: "Of course. I want Ben back, and Ben says he wants to come back, but I've heard that talk before."

-Joe says in negotiations with a free agent, he will never bring up a player's weaknesses to a player or his agent. Joe said he's been in that position before as a player, and he'll never forget it. The only reason he will give when asked why he's not offering more is, "because its fair."

-Carlos Delfino WILL be a big part in this team's future. He's told flip "in no uncertain terms" that he expects Delfino to be a big part of this team. He said he was extremely disappointed Delfino did not play this year.

-Amir Johnson will hopefully be on the active roster next year. "He's crazy athetic, 6'9", plays above the rim, and has a great feel for the game. We want to start getting him on the floor."

I get the feeling Mo Evans will be gone next year. Joe is determined not to let Delfino go like he did Darko.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up and the recap, Kstat.
    Find a new slant.

thanks so much for the recap, Kstat. i really wanted to record it, but the online streaming was crappy and i missed part of the end. i'll give it a whirl during talk soup. hopefully it's better then.

it's funny because i totally forgot about Amir Johnson when we we've been talking about the Pistons getting that slasher/rim-attacker. in the summer league, wasn't that his whole game? crazy athleticism and finishing? at 6'9", he's certainly got the size to do it. he's definitely got the hops to finish strong....remember his windmill dunk during the regular season and his HS dunk contest?

very nice to hear Joe D endorse Delfino to Flip.

+ Reply to Thread