+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Article: The Overrated Debate, by Jethro

Check your PMs

Article: The Overrated Debate, by Jethro

The Overrated Debate

By Jethro Weisenberg, WTFDetroit.com
    June 7, 2007

The term, overrated, is thrown around from time to time by media and fans to describe an athlete, coach, or team in either a current or historical setting. Often the use of this term sparks some pretty heated debate. The cause for the debate is that it’s really based on one person’s opinion. There is no true objective measure for a player being overrated or underrated. In other words, this will always be a topic of debate. Recently the term had a strong showing on WTFDetroit.com as users debated whether or not Reggie Bush was overrated. Shortly after that was brought up again, ESPN.com’s Jayson Stark published his first book which lists the most overrated baseball players of all time at each position. This list includes first-ballot Hall of Famers and future Hall of Famers such as Sandy Koufax, Lou Brock, and Andruw Jones, who beat out Joe DiMaggio for most overrated center fielder ever.

Read the complete article here.

The problem with overrated apologists is that they don't understand that players can be decent and still be overrated. A measure of being overrated is based on expectations. If you can never reach them, you are overrated. If you are expected to be the next Jordan, and you are only the next Reggie Miller (still a very good player)...then you are overrated. Also, just because you may live up to expectations some day doesn't mean you aren't overrated in the mean time. I think Lebron is overrated right now. Sure, he's one of the top 10 players in this league. but he's not King. not yet. give me a title and then you can annoint him. In the mean time he's a 22 year old phenom with a chance at greatness. Don't put him on the throne just yet.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Damn, Jethro, great write up!

Thank you, sir.

And for the record, the note at the bottom about me being a former Joey, Darko and Todd apologist is only 2/3 right. My first ever feature article for WTF was on how bad Todd Jones was. I was mocking him early this season when I repeatedly called him a lock for the Cy Young award.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

Great subject. I enjoyed it.
    You are a typical Michigan Fan: All class.
    We are the "leaders and best".
    Winning breeds confidence. Losing breeds reality.

Blog Entries
    Great work Jeth.

A follow-up article on overpaid athletes would be nice.
    Find a new slant.

I did one of those a while back Glenn. Back on TOS. I called it something like the most bang for your buck.

Looks like their page format screws it up a little though:

http://www.realgm.com/src_feature_ar...p?articleid=28

They have a graphic on the side covering part of it, but if you highlight the text you can see it easily.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Wow, looking back on that I never would have imagined we'd accuire 3 of the top 11 worst buys that year (Webber, Sheed and Dyess). And possibly another if we sign Grant Hill.

Granted injuries are a huge part of it, but that shows you how Joe has made a living off of other team's cast offs.

I should ro-do this sometime on here. It took me a long time to do it though.

+ Reply to Thread