http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...=2006608310312

Highway headache clears up early

I-696 interchange to reopen by tonight

Kiss those orange barrels good-bye. The Mixing Bowl is open once again -- 40 days ahead of schedule.

All lanes and ramps are set to reopen by tonight's rush at the junction of I-696, Northwestern Highway and Telegraph.

The project, which impacted 180,000 drivers a day on I-696 and 155,000 on Northwestern, is clearing out just in time for Labor Day and the heavier traffic due to hit town once schools start next week.

How'd that happen?

A $1.4-million incentive for contractor Dan's Excavating of Shelby Township helped.

Another factor was the need to get I-696 reopened before bridge repairs start next week at the intersection of 8 Mile and Woodward, because 8 Mile is a main alternate.

The weather helped, too, with not too much rain or heat, according to the Michigan Department of Transportation.

Earlier this week, the ramp from Lahser to northbound Northwestern reopened, along with the ramp from northbound Northwestern to westbound I-696.

But there's still work to do at the year's biggest roadwork.

The $51-million job included a rebuild of Northwestern and a new limited interchange at I-696 and Franklin Road.

The Franklin bridge over I-696 will stay closed through mid-October.
sweet bejeezus, it's about time. i noticed it during this morning's commute. i didn't get a chance to check it out, since i took the detour out of habit.