+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Beans and Cornbread in Southfield (soul food)

Beans and Cornbread in Southfield (soul food)

http://www.beanscornbread.com/

Our bustling bistro, Beans & Cornbread, voted "Best Soul Food Restaurant" by the Metro Times 3 years in a row, has a unique blend of southern soul, and cosmopolitan ambiance.

The interior the restaurant is lively and bright, adorned with portraits of Josephine Baker, Aretha Franklin, and Paul Robeson; along with other pieces of African American History. Flavor and spice waft out of the open kitchen, past the vintage life magazine collection on one wall and through the jovial throngs that crowd the restaurant from open to close.

Customers from all over the Detroit metropolitan area, as well as out of towners flock to Beans and Cornbread. All sit and tap their toes to the music floating in the air, basking in the warmth, the soul, and the hubbub of activity.
    has anyone been to this restaurant? it's pretty close to where i live and i've never really had 'authentic' soul food before. any recommendations, if you've been there?

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    I've been there a couple times for lunch.

Its a nice litle place.

Its been a while since I was there, and can't remember what I ate, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taymelo
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

I've been there a couple times for lunch.

Its a nice litle place.

Its been a while since I was there, and can't remember what I ate, though.
    do you remember the price range? under/over $10 per person?

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Hmmm I have connections to get this food w/o eating out. But I havent tried theirs. Maybe i will in a couple weeks.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach
    Hmmm I have connections to get this food w/o eating out. But I havent tried theirs. Maybe i will in a couple weeks.
    i wish i had access to soul food....unfortunately, the only thing close for me is Seoul food.....kimchee and stuff......

i make funny

Syndicate Emeritus, Site Co-Founder Taymelo's Avatar
    I'm not a soul food expert, but if I had to guess, I'd say it is as authentic soul food as american chinese food is authentic chinese food.

Its a small but somewhat fancy little restaurant with a well trained gourmet chef - not exactly chitlins and pigs feet (assuming those are different things )cooking in a garbage can at an outdoor bar-b-que with the folks playing dominos, if you know what I mean (or do I even know what I mean????).

If I recall, I'd say its about $10 per person for lunch.
    Quote Originally Posted by WH Press Sec. Tony Snow
    The President is opposed to (actually testing embryos before simply throwing them out), because the president is opposed to murder.
    Wait. Throwing them out is not murder, but testing them before throwing them out is murder? WTF, George?

I'm not a soul food expert, but if I had to guess, I'd say it is as authentic soul food as american chinese food is authentic chinese food.
    hmmm....american chinese food is definitely different from authentic chinese food, if that's what you were implying.

cooking in a garbage can at an outdoor bar-b-que with the folks playing dominos, if you know what I mean (or do I even know what I mean????).
    come on now, i've seen the requisite african american movies. :P on a side note, what about those dudes who set up grills on the side of the road in Detroit in the summer time? when my parents used to own a store in Detroit, i'd always pass by wanting to try. but, being a teenage asian kid, i was always wary about it. i think i might try one one this summer.

If I recall, I'd say its about $10 per person for lunch.
    cool....sounds decent.

Blog Entries
    Matt, you should send an email to Chris Webber and see what he thinks of this place.
    Find a new slant.

It is a great restaurant run by a great guy (Patrick Coleman).

http://www.beanscornbread.com/

+ Reply to Thread