+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dery/Sharp out at 105.1, LINDSEY HUNTER IN

Blog Entries

Dery/Sharp out at 105.1, LINDSEY HUNTER IN

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...rnoon-20160321

Drew Sharp, Matt Dery out at Detroit sports station WMGC 105.1 FM
    By BILL SHEA

Matt Dery and Drew Sharp are out as the afternoon drive-time duo at Detroit sports station WMGC 105.1 FM, replaced Monday in the 2-6 p.m. slot by former Detroit Pistons star Lindsey Hunter and station program director Dave Shore.

The station announced the changes Monday. The Detroit News, citing unnamed sources familiar with the matter, reported on Friday that Dery and Sharp wouldn’t return this week.

WMGC didn’t explain why the change was made. A message seeking comment was left for Heidi Raphael, the vice president of corporate communication for WMGC’s corporate owner, Boston-based Greater Media Inc.

The station has made other lineup changes as it lags well behind CBS Radio Inc.-owned market leader WXYT 97.1 FM, which dominates local ratings because it has the rights to Detroit Tigers and Red Wings play by play broadcasts.

WMGC in February moved Sean Baligian, Tom Mazawey and Marc Fellhauer from midday to the 6-10 a.m. morning drive-time slot in place of ESPN’s nationally syndicated “Mike and Mike.” The local trio previously occupied a noon-3 p.m. slot.

The 10 a.m.-2 p.m. slot continues to be anchored by the “Ryan & Rico” show.

WMGC put Dery and Sharp on air together in October to replace the show longtime local radio personality Drew Lane hosted since August 2013 until contract talks broke down with Greater Media over his the show content portion of his deal.

Mazawey and Fellhauer were part of Lane’s show before joining Baligian, who previously did sports on Detroit’s WDFN 1130 AM and WMAX 96.1 FM in Grand Rapids.

Dery previously was the mid-day host until filling in for Lane when he left Oct. 19.

Sharp is a Detroit Free Press columnist who came under intense criticism for his failure in late 2015 to attribute information previously reported by another journalist. He covered the Pistons as a Freep beat writer until becoming a columnist in 1999.

WMGC’s business strategy, when it flipped from a hybrid Top 40s and classic rock station to sports talk and game broadcasts in 2013, was to build around Lane as its flagship personality. Now, the station will try to rely on Hunter and Shore to build an audience that generates revenue.

Hunter, a 17-year NBA veteran who has done spot work on radio, played for the Pistons in 1993-2000 and 2003-08. He also played for the Milwaukee Bucks, L.A. Lakers, Toronto Raptors and Chicago Bulls.

Hunter won NBA championships with Detroit in 2004 and the Lakers in 2002. After his pro career, he worked for the Phoenix Suns and Golden State Warriors.

Shore joined WMGC in March 2015 as program director after working on air and as the operations manager of ESPN Radio’s KSPN-AM/ ESPN LA 710 in Los Angeles. He hosted the L.A. Lakers pre-game show at the station.

Shore also has worked as a sideline reporter for ESPN Radio’s national college football radio coverage, WMGC said, and he did TV play by play for Bob Knight’s last four years coaching at Texas Tech.

Additionally, he spent seven years as a pre-game and sideline reporter for Dallas Mavericks games and worked as a lead reporter covering the Dallas Cowboys.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    And apparently I don't read Moss' twitter feed anymore because he was discussing this two days ago.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glantland View Post
    And apparently I don't read Moss' twitter feed anymore because he was discussing this two days ago.
    Who was it that said, "Saying don't read Moss is like saying you don't eat at McDonalds"?

Oh right, it was YOU!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Bob Cooter View Post
    Who was it that said, "Saying don't read Moss is like saying you don't eat at McDonalds"?

Oh right, it was YOU!!!!!!
    I said that? I hate McDonald's*.

If I did say it I hope I credited Gaffigan, because that's his schtick.

*breakfast sandys not included
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Moss also subtweeted Spartan Ryan recently I see.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread