+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a PC RPG for me

Recommend a PC RPG for me

I'm looking to get into a pretty involved RPG game now that I'm stuck at home with the kid. It doesn't have to be new, it may even be better if it's a bit old. I'm looking for something with involved character development, magic/equipment no puzzles or thinking bullshit. I need something I can walk away from mid game, a turn based or tactics type thing.

Games I've liked are Final Fantasy 2, Diablo, Chrono Trigger, Rise of Nations, Dragon Warrior games, Baldurs gate......get me?

I've heard good things about KOTOR, but it sounds like I need to play actions scenes....no go there. Just wanna dick around. How about Marrowind? That looks like a FPS though......I just want to walk in dungeons, cast spells....???

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    How about Marrowind? That looks like a FPS though......I just want to walk in dungeons, cast spells....???
    If it's anything like Oblivion then that's pretty much what you'll do, just be doing it from a First person perspective.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

For a traditional, console-style RPG, the fan-made Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is surprisingly decent and pretty funny.

I play Warcraft 3 online and that is very fun. I don't play World of Warcraft because it's too addictive and time consuming (like Final Fantasy 10 was). In Warcraft 3 you start a new team battle every time so you can play as much or little as you like and have no disadvantage (other than your skill) going into each match. With World of Warcraft being experienced based you have a shitty character if you don't play all the time.

I prefer to just play for a couple hours once and a while than veg in front of the computer forever gaining experience.

WC3 is closer to a strategy game than RPG, but it does have hereos that gain experience within the matches, and also in story mode.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Yeah if you are going with Elder Scrolls I'd go with Oblivion. Pretty much everyone agrees that the series was already good and Oblivion is about 2 steps up from the rest of them. Though it might be too full of a game for what it sounds like you are looking for. You liked Diablo so there is always Diablo 2. Dungeon Siege is pretty much empty of all things except blowing your way through dungeons and is still a good game so if story isn't your thing this might be more your style. Fable is another single character RPG (like Oblivion) that's quality. Neverwinter Nights (1 or 2) is good classic D&D RPG. You could always try Final Fantasy 7 (ten years old now) since you liked 2. Or even World of Warcraft (free trial version) or Guild Wars (no subscription fee) if you want to try the online thing.
    STEW BEEF!

Not to sure about the online thing. I don't want to get in a battle with a group and have to get up to change a diaper. Dookie waits for no man.

The only final fantasy I haven't played/beaten including the Japaneese versions is 9. That includes tactics/adventures and all the game boy ones. Also beat Diablo 2. I was just listing off some expamples of styles I've liked. Did that have a PC port?

I did hear good things about Fable....but I heard there are a lot of puzzles. True? I just want to beat on shit. If there are puzzles or mystery quests that fine, but I'll just find cheats.

Thanks for the answers guys.

Fable is pretty much nothing but beating up on shit. It's a hack 'n slash action-adventure-RPG, and I can think of only one true puzzle in the entire game (about two-thirds of the way through). I like Fable; slaughtering entire villages is fun, and combat is more or less operated entirely via the mouse and two keys- none of that, "press five keys and stomp your feet to switch weapons" crap that some PC games feel they must do to look complex. It's pretty easy overall, but that's certainly not a negative in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oobir
    Fable is pretty much nothing but beating up on shit. It's a hack 'n slash action-adventure-RPG, and I can think of only one true puzzle in the entire game (about two-thirds of the way through). I like Fable; slaughtering entire villages is fun, and combat is more or less operated entirely via the mouse and two keys- none of that, "press five keys and stomp your feet to switch weapons" crap that some PC games feel they must do to look complex. It's pretty easy overall, but that's certainly not a negative in my eyes.
    Cool, can I play it like I said, walking away from it at a whim? Can I play on my laptop?

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Oobir
    For a traditional, console-style RPG, the fan-made Barkley: Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is surprisingly decent and pretty funny.
    WTF?

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

If you're even considering Oblivion, go for it. I'd put it up there with FF7 as one of the best RPG's of all time.

Although Super Mario RPG was pretty good too...LOL..

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

+ Reply to Thread