+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Speculation thread: Who won't/shouldn't be back next season?

Speculation thread: Who won't/shouldn't be back next season?

Ok, here's my list of people that probably won't be back.

First of all, Duckett is the only free agent I think would come back - and that's a maybe at best.
    I think Orlovsky, Bailey, Lehman, and Fisher will all look around. (we have other FA's, but I don't consider them to be worth discussion).
    Orlovsky is restricted, so the Lions could bring him back and may want to, but depending on other fallout it may be ok for them to let him go.

I'm guessing any and all efforts to move Tatum Bell and Kalimba Edwards will be made. The fact that neither made the trip today is a bit telling, and both have been in the Marinelli doghouse for weeks.

If Martz goes, there are other players that could get cut or attempts made to trade them, but I'm not sure who could really net much return. This team has a number of former Rams, many that Martz might have interest in moving with him to his next job if the price is right.

If that price is several 2nd day picks, fine, we seem to like to have those to throw around in other deals for flexibility. Like last year, didn't we have half the 5th round and only end up making one pick?

So the biggest questions will be - who might the Lions offer in deals?
    Shaun Rogers?
    Roy Williams?
    Those are the most marketable pieces that would both seem movable. Rogers is an on/off player capable of Pro Bowl or bench depending on motivation. Williams is a top WR that might leave first chance he gets to go closer to home in Texas. What could they get by way of draft picks or established players? Could they move Kenoy Kennedy, Damien Woody, Fernando Bryant, etc?

The players I think will stay are:
    Ernie Sims, Calvin Johnson, Cory Redding. These are building blocks that the team would not trade.
    Jeff Backus. Pretty much stuck here because of his contract.
    DeWayne White. He's too valuable to Marinelli and Barry right now.
    Kevin Jones. Injury history and current injury make it impossible to get anything for him.

I have a hard time seeing anyone else as a sure thing to be back.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

I'd call Riola a sure thing to be back, he made the Pro Bowl this year and the coaches love him. Same with Kitna. He's probably here until his contract is up. Stanton will be back, at least as the #3 QB. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head that you didn't mention. I think DeVries will be back, but he's not a sure thing. He seems to like the organization and he's always got great attitude and hustle.
    _

I had bad info. Apparently Bell and Woody are UFA's, so forget trading them for anything. Yeah, they're gone.
    We had subs. It was crazy.

And, as always, Harris and Hanson will be back.
    _

i dont get nfl trades at all. the pats trade d. branch for a 1st rounder and then trade a 4th rounder for randy moss. it seems like a young go getter like roy williams should be worth something. right now im thinking we are going to be brutal next year. if we lose williams, our RB's are going to suck too. how are we going to score? lol. i cant wait already. i wish i could go on an 8 mnth bender so that next season would come sooner.

My comments in bold:

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro34
    First of all, Duckett is the only free agent I think would come back - and that's a maybe at best.

I agree. He's a good change of pace, especially since I agree on moving Bell

I think Orlovsky, Bailey, Lehman, and Fisher will all look around. (we have other FA's, but I don't consider them to be worth discussion).
    Orlovsky is restricted, so the Lions could bring him back and may want to, but depending on other fallout it may be ok for them to let him go.

I would let Orlovsky go. They didn't draft Stanton to be the #3. Get a cheap vet backup for a year. I'd keep either Bailey or Lehman as a backup if they are affordable, but not both. We need a new starter.

I'm guessing any and all efforts to move Tatum Bell and Kalimba Edwards will be made. The fact that neither made the trip today is a bit telling, and both have been in the Marinelli doghouse for weeks.

Agreed. We never should have matched the offer on Edwards. Would the Browns still want him?

If Martz goes, there are other players that could get cut or attempts made to trade them, but I'm not sure who could really net much return. This team has a number of former Rams, many that Martz might have interest in moving with him to his next job if the price is right.

If that price is several 2nd day picks, fine, we seem to like to have those to throw around in other deals for flexibility. Like last year, didn't we have half the 5th round and only end up making one pick?

So the biggest questions will be - who might the Lions offer in deals?
    Shaun Rogers?
    Roy Williams?
    Those are the most marketable pieces that would both seem movable. Rogers is an on/off player capable of Pro Bowl or bench depending on motivation. Williams is a top WR that might leave first chance he gets to go closer to home in Texas. What could they get by way of draft picks or established players? Could they move Kenoy Kennedy, Damien Woody, Fernando Bryant, etc?

Woody is a FA, so they can't move him. Kennedy won't draw much IMO, he's probably worth just keeping as a backup until his contract runs out. I think they'll put feelers out for Rogers, but not find what they are looking for.

The players I think will stay are:
    Ernie Sims, Calvin Johnson, Cory Redding. These are building blocks that the team would not trade.
    Jeff Backus. Pretty much stuck here because of his contract.
    DeWayne White. He's too valuable to Marinelli and Barry right now.
    Kevin Jones. Injury history and current injury make it impossible to get anything for him.

I think they will sign Woody as a RT. Most teams probably won't look at him as such, so his best chance for PT is probably here at RT. Either way I think Foster is gone. He sucked here. As long as we get a reasonable deal, I think they keep Woody there because they'll have lots of LB holes to fill and possibly CB.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Woody unsure of future
    Right tackle Damien Woody, who will become an unrestricted free agent in March, said he's going to take some time before he decides what his future holds for next season.
    "It's one of those things where I've got to see what's out there,'' Woody said. "Would I like to come back, yeah, but I owe it to myself and my family to explore the options.''
    Woody started his fifth straight game at right tackle and has played well. The Lions basically haven't given up a sack in three of the last four games (Kitna was sacked once on the final play of the game against the Cowboys).
    If the Lions can't re-sign Woody, they'll have to go out and find another right tackle in free agency or the draft.
    "I'd definitely like to come back, but there are so many variables in this thing that it's too hard to say right now,'' Woody said. "I felt I played well. Of course there are definitely things I need to work on but, for being my first time at tackle, I felt I did a pretty good job and I think I'm only going to get better at it.''
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Ford.

But I'm sure we're all getting tired of saying/typing that.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Blog Entries
    I tried motivating myself to think about who should stay and who should go, and I just can't muster up the courage to make the distinction.

Which piece of shit doesn't smell as bad as the rest of the pile?
    Find a new slant.

The players I have faith in I can count on 1 hand. Trouble is we have to field a 54 man squad.

+ Reply to Thread