+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Josh Howard, an American hero

Enjoying my new sig, and av. Waiting for coming fight with wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by geerussell
    Following through on that theme, people who salute the flag, people who put their hands over their hearts and sing the national anthem are equally stupid. They achieved no victory there, after all. They're just a bunch of bandwagon cats claiming a past they HAD NO PART OF.

The past we had no part of is still a part of us. We inherit the good part and the bad parts.
    Thats not the same thing at all, but I suspect you knew that before you typed it.

I salute the flag, and put my hand over my heart becuase of the nation we are today. We ee our faults, and are constantly trying to correct them.

You absolutley have to be part of something, to either activly cheer, or jeer for it.(Historicaly speaking of course)

It would be ridiculous for me to feel shame for what the Nazis did to the Jews becuase I am mostly German, and have some Nazi history in my family tree. Do I feel bad for the people who suffered at the hands of the Nazis themselves? Of course, but I am not going to turn my back on my german heritage becuase of something that happened two generations removed from me. It wouldnt make sense.

Its absurd for Howard to say what he said, when he lives in a completly different society from the one hes referring to. Would someone from that era have the right to what he did? You bet your ass. Just as if there were slaves still alive in todays world. Give them whatever they want, becuase they DESERVE it.

Blacks today that had to live thru southern HELL during the civil rights era want to urinate on the American flag for what thier country did to them can do it in front of me, and I will clap. They sure as hell earned that right.

I'll bet that if someone who was beaten at the hands of white people back in the 50's, and had to drink from different fountains, and eat in different restaraunts, and were treated like shit, could, would slap the shit out of Howard for saying what he did.

It diminishes what they had to go thru. Howard is reaping the benefits of millions of oppressed peoples, and should be gratfull AS HELL to be where he is today.

Do we still have our problems? Of course, we dont live in a perfect country, but its a world better then what it was in 1776, 1876, and even 1976.

Progression should be celebrated, and the past shouldnt be dredged up when it has no relevence, or to make ones stupid actions seem justified.

Quote Originally Posted by zeebneebV.3
    Thats not the same thing at all, but I suspect you knew that before you typed it.

I salute the flag, and put my hand over my heart becuase of the nation we are today. We ee our faults, and are constantly trying to correct them.

You absolutley have to be part of something, to either activly cheer, or jeer for it.(Historicaly speaking of course)
    So are you saying that saluting the flag and putting your hand over your heart during the anthem isn't actively cheering, because I would contend it is. Or that you had an active part in it, in which case can you probably have a portrait in your attic that looks like a 200 year old zeebneeb.

Progression should be celebrated, and the past shouldnt be dredged up when it has no relevence, or to make ones stupid actions seem justified.
    It's inseparable. The future of the country is on a trajectory set by the past. If I stick my fingers in my ears and pretend the past didn't happen, it doesn't go away.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    For him to say what he said, then yes, absolutly he had to be there.
    No he doesn't, but if thats your standard so be it.

He has a better lifestyle then 99% of all Americans(Hell in the WORLD) thanks to this fine country. If anything he should be even more thankfull for this country then the common masses that make it up.
    So should Vick. But it doesn't work that easy for someone to come into an extreme change of lifestyle that isn't built from scratch. That's why people who win the lottery have a good chance of spending all their money unwisely. You're being naive as hell when you preach something like that and put an even more naive "99 percent of all americans" stamp on it.

It's this country that made him a gazillionaire, its this country that lets him say stupid-ass crap, and its this country that lets him live free, and be happy.
    Lets? How the fuck are you not in Iraq with this mantra? You're perfect for blind patriotism. Sorry if I don't buy it, but i won't step on your idea of such a polite country that it lets us be free.

His point of view doesnt give him the right to say what he said, this very country he refuses to respect gives him the right to say what he said, the freedom of speach.
    I agree that its his freedom of speech that gives him his right. Don't understand how exactly you've found yourself to be the decider on whats right for his point of view.

People claiming the past they HAD NO PART OF, in excusing poor behavior is worse then the behavior itself.
    Actually no one here is saying that. He never defended his poor behavior and neither has anyone else, but the position he took is understandable to me partially. It's also his entitlement as an american. From a heritage standpoint the past may mean more to me than you, so I can't begin to write the past off as irrelevant, especially when some of the ignorance of that era still exists.

He wasnt a victim here, just a dumbass. A dumbass that needs to be bitch-slapped for saying something so fucking stupid.
    1.) I called him a dumbass long before you ever got off your high horse to address this subject in full rant. Not really the topic though.

2.)You're welcomed to bitch slap him, good luck with that.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I propose that this thread should get moved to the Pol/Sci/Religion forum. Who's with me?

+ Reply to Thread