+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Top Songwriters all time

Top Songwriters all time

I know a lot of the poster base is big on music topics, so i wanted to do this thread to see how many of you judge songwriting and appreciate it. The only catch to my version of this topic is no writing teams are to be included...mainly because Lennon/McCartney is the only acceptable number 1. The other reason is we don't really know who did what in the process so it is better to judge individual skill IMO. Take Lennon and McCartney post Beatles one did Imagine, Beautiful Boy, Working Class Hero the other did Jet, Ebony and Ivory and Silly Love Songs, so we can see that one member of the "team" heavily carried the other. However if you want to include a writer post teamwork that is acceptable

All forms of musical writing are acceptable, I am not going to say one type of writing is better than the other. The list can be as long as you want, I am just doing a top ten for now, though my list has 11 names.

My Top Ten

1. Robert Zimmerman
    2. Johnny Cash
    3. John Lennon
    4. Bob Marley
    5. Randy Newman
    6. Woody Guthrie
    7. Warren Zevon
    8. Curtis Mayfield
    9. Hank Williams
    T-10 Lead Belly
    T-10 Elvis Costello

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Bowie, Lennon, McCartney...too tired to think of more now...

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

Zimmerman and Lennon are the ones I go with. I dont know too much about this topic.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.

Re: Top Songwriters all time

Quote Originally Posted by JS

My Top Ten

1. Robert Zimmerman
    2. Johnny Cash
    3. John Lennon
    4. Bob Marley
    5. Randy Newman
    6. Woody Guthrie
    7. Warren Zevon
    8. Curtis Mayfield
    9. Hank Williams
    T-10 Lead Belly
    T-10 Elvis Costello
    Curtis mayfield would be higher on my list. I also would add Marvin Gaye.

Hank Williams didnt impress me though. I'm a lil' surprised you put Marley up there, though i dont disagree.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Can people post either the names of some songs or the lyrics so those that don't know can be educated?

I can't recall any songs written by almost half of JS's list, though all the names are familiar.
    Rise like Lions after slumber,
    In unvanquishable number -
    Shake your chains to earth like dew
    Which in sleep had fallen on you -
    Ye are many - they are few.

Blog Entries
    Whoever wrote "Tequila" was brilliant.
    Find a new slant.

As far as the songs go, for me my favorites aren't hits in all cases so it wouldn't help too much listing them.

Although I feel everything Dylan is great favorites are Jokerman, Desolation Row and Hurricane to name a few. Cash Folsom Blues, Walk the Line, and Man in Black. Lennon everything on Sometime in NY, God and Imagine. Marley Buffalo Soldiers, Rat Race and Redemption Song. Newman Germany after the War, Poltical Science and Louisanna 1927. Guthrie- everything but folk music is an acquired taste, Tom Joad is a compelling entry into his world. 7. Zevon. Mutineer, Toland the Headless Thompson gunner, and Things to do in Denver when your Dead. Mayfield- Pusherman, Move on Up. HWSR- Lost Highway, Lovesick Blues, and Prodigal Son. LB Where did you sleep last night?, lastly EC everything..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MOLA1
    Was anyone else hoping that was a Jefferson Starship reference?
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread