1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

Blog Entries

The Oscars

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060131/...ar_nominations

'Brokeback Mountain' Gets 8 Oscar Nods

By DAVID GERMAIN, AP Movie Writer
    3 minutes ago

The cowboy love story "Brokeback Mountain" led the Academy Awards field Tuesday with eight nominations, among them best picture and honors for actor Heath Ledger and director Ang Lee.

Also nominated for best picture were the Truman Capote story "Capote"; the ensemble drama "Crash"; the Edward R. Murrow chronicle "Good Night, and Good Luck"; the assassination thriller "Munich."

The Johnny Cash biography, "Walk the Line," considered a likely best picture nominee, was shut out, though Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon earned acting nominations for the film.

George Clooney picked up three nominations: as supporting actor for his role as a steadfast CIA undercover agent in "Syriana" and best director and co-writer for his Edward R. Murrow tale "Good Night, and Good Luck."

Along with best-actor contender Ledger, and directing nominee Lee, "Brokeback Mountain" scored nominations for Michelle Williams as supporting actress, Jake Gyllenhaal as supporting actor and Larry McMurtry and Diana Ossana for their screenplay adaptation of Annie Proulx's short story.

The acting categories were a mix of familiar Oscar faces such as past winners Judi Dench and Charlize Theron, veterans like Clooney, Witherspoon, Rachel Weisz, David Strathairn and Felicity Huffman gaining their first academy attention, and young performers such as Williams and Amy Adams.

Philip Seymour Hoffman, the best-actor favorite for his remarkable impersonation of author Truman Capote in "Capote," joined Ledger in the best-actor category. Hoffman has triumphed at earlier film honors, including the Golden Globes.

Along with Hoffman, Ledger and Phoenix, the other nominees were Terrence Howard as a small-time hood turned rap singer in "Hustle & Flow" and Strathairn as newsman Murrow in "Good Night, and Good Luck."

The best-actress race presumably will shape up as a two-woman contest between Huffman in a gender-bending role as a man about to undergo sex-change surgery in "Transamerica" and Witherspoon as singer June Carter, Cash's musical companion and future wife, in "Walk the Line."

Huffman won the Golden Globe for best dramatic actress, while Witherspoon earned the Globe for best actress in a musical or comedy. Witherspoon beat Huffman on Sunday for the best-actress prize at the Screen Actors Guild Awards.

Also nominated for the best-actress Oscar were Dench as a society dame who starts a nude stage revue in 1930s London in "Mrs. Henderson Presents"; Keira Knightley as the romantic heroine of the Jane Austen adaptation "Pride & Prejudice"; Charlize Theron as a mine worker who leads a sexual-harassment lawsuit against male co-workers in "North Country."
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    I'm really surprised that Walk The Line didn't get a best picture nomination, but the actors deserved it more that the film, IMO, so at least they got the praise they deserved.
    Find a new slant.

I can't believe Terrance Howard got nominated for hustle and flow. I loved that movie, and I think that's why it's so shocking to me.
    k

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I'm really surprised that Walk The Line didn't get a best picture nomination,
    Especially considering how hard they pimped it for an Oscar in the ads.

That totally turned me off to the movie.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TK

You appear to be a fickle movie snob.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by TK

You appear to be a fickle movie snob.
    You appear to be a big fat dunderhead.

If you ever made a movie, I wouldn't watch it based on that alone.

Blog Entries
    My wife just informed me that she wants to watch this together tonight, which means I'm looking at another night of pretending to pay attention to something that interests her whilst I zone off and think about the Pistons.

I'm really looking forward to getting barraged with the "Do you think she is pretty?" question about every 5 minutes as well.
    Find a new slant.

"Up to now -- since shortly after the Bolshevik Revolution -- most movie makers have been assuming that they know how to make movies. Just like a bad writer doesn't ask himself if he's really capable of writing a novel -- he thinks he knows. If movie makers were building airplanes, there would be an accident every time one took off. But in the movies, these accidents are called Oscars."

--Jean-Luc Godard

Wow.....that was the funniest shit ever.

About time someone pointed out how overwhelmingly flaming most westernas are.....

+ Reply to Thread