+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Left Lane Usage

Left Lane Usage

Michigan needs to pick up on this. I can't stand driving 15 miles per hour under the speed limit just because some old woman doesn't know the law.

Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy?
    The words 'move over' -- even if readable in the rearview mirror -- may not mean much to them, but a ticket might. Some states are cracking down.

By Christopher Solomon
    In these days of longer commutes and simmering tempers, nothing seems to set off already-testy motorists like the left-lane camper -- the guy or gal who drives in the passing lane and bars faster drivers from easily passing. Web sites have cropped up to educate other drivers, or to vent. There's a (somewhat painful) YouTube song called "Keep Right."

Even bigwigs get frustrated. Pennsylvania Gov. Edward Rendell, weary of having his limo slowed down by such left-lane pokies, ordered an aide to have the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission install signs a few years ago reading "Keep Right, Pass Left. It's the Law."

And now some states are cracking down on left-lane campers, both to keep traffic moving and to tamp down the road rage that goes from zero-to-60 faster than ever before.

That's not just a pretext. Last year, a driver was arrested on Interstate 79 outside Pittsburgh after allegedly brandishing a semiautomatic pistol at a driver who was on his tail.

You could get a ticket
    Some states didn't allow left-lane lingering but didn't enforce the law. Now they are.

At the start of the summer, the Washington State Patrol began pulling people over for violating the state's left-lane law, which prohibits "impeding the flow of other traffic."

Talk back: What are your biggest pet peeves on the road?

"This a real big hot-button topic for the public at large right now," says Trooper Cliff Pratt. "We've had a lot of complaints" from drivers who've had to deal with left-lane campers.

So far authorities have been gentle with the $124 ticket; the drivers stopped were given verbal warnings.

Last year, news outlets reported that Oklahoma was bolstering enforcement of its left-lane law as well.

"We deal with it weekly," Lt. George Brown, supervisor of public affairs for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, said of left-lane drivers going too slowly. He's issued more warnings than tickets.

Insurers haven't gotten aggressive yet, either, but this kind of ticket has the potential to raise rates.

"Any moving violation that applies points to a driver's record could affect that driver's car insurance rates," says Susan Gallik Rouser, a spokeswoman for Progressive. "And because left-lane driving would be considered as such an infraction, we would take that into account when renewing a driver's policy."

What's the law in your state?
    The laws vary widely, according to John Carr, who works for a software company in the Boston area and who compiled a list of the rules in each state after taking an interest in the issue:

A few states -- for instance, Kentucky, Maine Massachusetts and New Jersey -- permit use of the left lane only for passing or turning left.

Georgia, Colorado and Louisiana follow the Uniform Vehicle Code, requiring drivers to keep right if they're going slower than the speed of traffic.

Wyoming prohibits blocking the far left lane of a highway "for a prolonged period," though it adds that the traffic should be "at a lawful rate of speed."

In Arkansas and South Dakota, vehicles don't have to stay right.

In Alaska, Maryland, North Carolina and Ohio, vehicles can drive in the left lane so long as they're moving at the speed limit.

Florida is trying to join in: Lawmakers reintroduced a Road Rage Reduction Act this year, requiring motorists to stay out of the left lane on interstate highways except when passing. It passed the Legislature in 2005 but was vetoed by then-Gov. Jeb Bush, who questioned whether it was based on sound research.

It's no wonder drivers can be confused, and often frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Florida is trying to join in: Lawmakers reintroduced a Road Rage Reduction Act this year, requiring motorists to stay out of the left lane on interstate highways except when passing. It passed the Legislature in 2005 but was vetoed by then-Gov. Jeb Bush, who questioned whether it was based on sound research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeb Bush
    Now those pinko liberals want their OWN LANE??? Oh hells no!!!

I can tell you Colorado does not police that. I hate that shit. People here are notorious for driving in the left lane even though they have the keep right except to pass signs like every mile along I-25. I say if the sign is there, the cops have every right to pull them over for doing 55 MPH in a 75 MPH zone.

It really is a safety issue because people get pissed and tail gate. Also, they are forced to pass on the right which causes all kinds of problems when you have people merging into the same lane from opposite sides.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacris
    I'm doin' a hundred on the highway
    So if you do the speed limit, get the FUCK outta my way
    I'm D.U.I., hardly ever caught sober
    and you about to get ran the FUCK over

Move bitch, get out the way
    Get out the way bitch, get out the way

rollin through your neighborhood, middle finger up
    In my daily commute to work, there's a driver I actually recognize now. If I see her ahead of me (always always in the left lane) I immediately go around. Usually I'm pretty patient, but she never goes more than 5mph under the speed limit. She must leave about 2 minutes before me because I swear I go by her 3 days a week.

On another note, where I live is notorious for tailgaters. What's really annoying is they aren't even trying to get ahead of traffic and speed away, people just follow that close here, worse than anywhere I've ever driven. I'll get over so they can pass and they will switch lanes with me. I'm not talking closer than the 2 second rule either, I'm talking about 3 feet off my bumper. Really pisses me off.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by UxKa
    In my daily commute to work, there's a driver I actually recognize now. If I see her ahead of me (always always in the left lane) I immediately go around. Usually I'm pretty patient, but she never goes more than 5mph under the speed limit. She must leave about 2 minutes before me because I swear I go by her 3 days a week.
    I got a guy I see once or twice a week in the right lane doing 50 in a 70 MPH zone.

Personalized license plates, too, "PROBONO".
    Find a new slant.

Nothing to do with this thread (except the last post), but I just saw a guy with the plate "MLB UMP"
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Peeps generally move out of the way if you are in a 1 ton about an inch from their rear bumper. At least thats what works for me.

That doesn't help Glenn and his Hyundai.
    You just strike me as Hyundai guy.
    STEW BEEF!

+ Reply to Thread