+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Howard, an American hero

Josh Howard, an American hero

Star Spangled mess: Mavs’ Howard insults anthem

DALLAS (AP)—The battered reputation of Josh Howard took another hit this week when an online video surfaced showing the Dallas Mavericks forward disrespecting the national anthem.

In a video posted on YouTube, Howard is shown on a football field at a charity flag football game. As the national anthem plays in the background, Howard approaches a camera and says: “‘The Star Spangled Banner’ is going on right now. I don’t even celebrate that (expletive). I’m black.”

Howard’s agent, Jeff Schwartz, did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment. Donnie Nelson, the Mavericks’ president of basketball operations, directed questions to team owner Mark Cuban, who in an e-mail declined to comment.

The incident is the latest off-court problem for Howard, a fifth-year pro from Wake Forest who averaged 19.9 points and seven rebounds last season. He was arrested in July when police said he was drag racing at 94 mph in a 55 zone. A court appearance was scheduled for next week.

Howard was criticized last season for saying in a radio interview during a first-round playoff series against New Orleans that he occasionally smokes marijuana. Later that same series, he angered coach Avery Johnson by throwing himself a birthday bash after a Game 4 loss to the Hornets.

fuck the vids no longer available! well i think we should be looking to make the official josh howard is a douche bag thread

The anthem was written the night settlers won independence. Blacks were not considered people during that period(and some people still believe that), thus could not fight for the US. I can somewhat understand where he's coming from.

Not sure why sometimes things like this bugs me and others it doesn't. This one just doesn't.

I've seen it on ESPN thats for sure.
    Players meeting my ASS!

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    And at the other end, Tayshaun Prince wins a gold medal for his country.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    No Disrespect, and Darth has it right. The National Anthem from a historical standpoint isn't really going to be hoorah for every african american. My only complaint is the way he was about it. But he was on a cell phone quick shot and is still fairly young.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I don't want to get into a racial debate here, but since when has Howard had to worry about any of those things in his life? He grew up in a good atmosphere and is being paid millions of dollars every year because he's good at a game. He's also so dumb that he had to go to a year of military school because he couldn't get above the 500s on his SAT.

I think there are huge percent of African Americans that can make that claim, however, Josh Howard is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by MoTown
    I think there are huge percent of African Americans that can make that claim, however, Josh Howard is not one of them.
    I understand what you're going, but you're jumping into self righteous territory with that claim just off of reading his wikiprofile. Again I agree that he's not the brightest tool in the shed, maybe schools doing his homework for him had a some help in that. I know a guy who claims Dion Harris of UM is a sack of bricks in the brain department and couldn't have legitimately passed. With that said, The "you guys are millionaires" thing has always been a tough thing to live up to for people who weren't before. Actually nevermind because I dont really want to get into the race part of this too, and thats where it'll head no matter what.
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

I agree, I'll steer clear of that as well, Gutz, and I respect your opinion on it. I just wanted to throw my opinion out there. I bet if it was someone else that said his comments, I might have a different perspective. I've just always thought Josh Howard says the first thing that comes to mind, and it's usually something stupid, the proof being in the LOL@Josh Howard thread we have.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

+ Reply to Thread