Exonerated of Rape Conviction, Man Is Freed After 26 Years

Ouch.

DALLAS, Texas — Three times during his nearly 27 years in prison, Charles Chatman went before a parole board and refused to acknowledge he was a rapist. His steadfastness was vindicated yesterday, when a judge released him because of new DNA evidence showing he indeed wasn't. The release of Mr. Chatman, 47, added to Dallas County's nationally unmatched number of wrongfully convicted inmates.

"Every time I'd go to parole, they'd want a description of the crime or my version of the crime," Mr. Chatman said. "I don't have a version of the crime. I never committed the crime. I never will admit to doing this crime that I know I didn't do."
Mr. Chatman was 20 when the victim, a young woman in her 20s, picked him from a lineup. Mr. Chatman said he lived five houses down from the victim for 13 years but never knew her.

She identified him in court as the attacker, and serology tests showed that the type of blood found at the crime scene matched that of Mr. Chatman — along with 40% of other black males. Mr. Chatman said he was working at the time of the assault, an alibi supported by his sister, who was also his employer.

Nevertheless, Mr. Chatman was convicted of aggravated sexual assault in 1981 and sentenced to 99 years in prison. Mr. Chatman said he believes his race led to his arrest and conviction. The jury, he said, had one black member.

"I was convicted because a black man committed a crime against a white woman," Mr. Chatman said. "And I was available."