+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: new radiohead album?

look at this caca water, it's disgusting!
    I gave them $7 for the record. It's a lot less than I'd have to pay if I bought it new on CD at Best Buy. But I acknowledge that I'm being generous because I'm a musician and I understand what they're trying to do.

I don't think the "pay whatever you like" model is sustainable going forward. But I do think that people will probably be OK with paying the equivalent of $5 for high-quality, DRM-less music files that have no software licensing agreement attached.

I'm not asking about the d/l-able one. IMO its honest to pay nothing for it as its an option. To each their own. I'm asking if you (or really if you think people in general) will be more apt to buy the box set rather than take the extra songs that go along with the one's they've d/l'ed at their own price.

BTW, where did you get the $4 a download number? I have yet to see a report on it.

BTW again, you check out Freakonomics at all Mich & Telle?
    That's right, I went old school.
    Story about a guy who makes his living off honor-policy selling. Not "pay what you want" but still in the same ballpark.
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9629C8B63

Last edited by Fool; 10-22-2007 at 04:45 PM.
    STEW BEEF!

Yeah, I'd buy that. It's just the kind of thing I'd like to have, with extra artwork and vinyl and all that.

I never read Freakonomics. It sounds like an interesting idea. I read Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point and I found that kinda cool. I like people who write about typical stuff from a wildly different perspective.

6 mill streight to them, plus how much $ in free advertising due to having a novel and good idea?

i do think offering to give it away for free probably encourages more people to pay, though i suspect alot of people who would have bought it at full price (or a dollar per song on itunes) may have payed less. who knows what the max profit number is.

like i said, i'll be buying the vynil eventually, though i hope its available in a non 80 dollar bundle.

A link to that report would be appreciated.
    STEW BEEF!

Sorry Fool. The link is HERE. Apparently I misread the report - apparently the average is GBP 4 per download, which is almost twice the income I thought.

Double the average price and less than shipped.
    Radiohead tore up the industry manual when they allowed fans to name their price to download its latest album, "In Rainbows," released Oct. 10. To date, representatives for the band have remained tight-lipped on the sales performance of the studio set. Edge downplayed as "exaggerated" reports that "In Rainbows" had shifted more than 1.2 million copies, but admitted the average price paid was "probably pretty close" to £4 ($8).
    So less than 1.2 by the 18th of Oct. Still at $8 a pop, its hard not to be more than the $6 million we were talking about. Thanks for the link.
    STEW BEEF!

+ Reply to Thread