+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: OGT: Pistons Notes from Toronto

OGT: Pistons Notes from Toronto

From Milive weblog:

Odds and Ends from Toronto
    TORONTO — Based on what Flip Saunders and the players are saying, it looks like you'll see Detroit's key players on the floor a lot less in the next four games. While it does make some sense to do this to avoid injuries heading into the playoffs, Detroit's starters still only show flashes of cohesiveness, while the bench has been surprisingly consistent. The guy who needs to rest the most, I believe, is Antonio McDyess. He's got a sore Achilles tendon which isn't bad enough to where it affects his play, but I don't believe Detroit should take any chances with a guy who means as much to them, as McDyess.
    If he goes down, this team will not win it all. They have other guys who can step up, but no one off the bench has the ability to stretch defenses the way McDyess, as well as rebound, shot block and defend in the post.

A couple more things to consider ... It's great that Amir Johnson has helped Detroit's D-League team in Sioux Falls (S.D.) get into the playoffs, but this kid should be called up now. He has dominated the competition at the D-League, and should be rewarded with some spot duty this week with the Pistons. Ditto for Ronald Dupree, who has been a steady practice player who has earned the right to be on the active roster now that Detroit's playoff seeding won't change. ... Chauncey Billups' right thigh bruise seems to be a non-issue for tonight's game. Speaking of Billups, you can add him to the Sam Mitchell for Coach-of-the-Year club. I went up to Chauncey this morning to ask him about Sam. Before I could even finish my first question, he said, 'who coach of the Year, Sam? That's the COY right there, coach of the year."

Chauncey, who played with Sam in Minnesota and has always held him in high regard, spoke about what Sam has meant to him and the role he believes Sam has played in elevating the Raptors to the franchise's first Atlantic Division title.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

A couple more things to consider ... It's great that Amir Johnson has helped Detroit's D-League team in Sioux Falls (S.D.) get into the playoffs, but this kid should be called up now. He has dominated the competition at the D-League, and should be rewarded with some spot duty this week with the Pistons.
    i actually agree with McCosky that Amir should play out the NBDL playoffs, since he's become "the man" on the team (and possibly the NBDL). he might get a few minutes of garbage time up here, but back on his NBDL team, he's going to be in a pressure situation where they'll look to him to lead. that might be more valuable in the long run.

well, McCosky, you've made me an idiot as well.

Chris McCosky

Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Upon further review

Well, don't I feel like an idiot this morning. Less than 24 hours after I posted my last blog saying that Amir Johnson was going to be staying in Sioux Falls for the D-League playoffs, he's expected to be here in Toronto for shoot-around and could be in uniform tonight for the Pistons. Lovely. Here's what happened. Flip Saunders said the other day that he thought it would be best for Amir to play in the D-League playoffs and experience what it was like to carry the load in pressure situations. Plus, he said, Mo McHone, the coach of the Skyforce, deserves a chance to win. Sometime between Tuesday and today, that decision got reversed. I am assuming John Hammond and Joe Dumars felt the NBA game experience would benefit Johnson more than D-League minutes. That's the beautiful thing about news -- it changes. Will Blalock, I am pretty sure, is staying down in the D-League.

When are the playoffs there? Are they just rewarding Amir with some solid minutes tonight before sending him back for playoffs there?
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    If I squint at this a little, this be a game thread.

Amir struggling a little bit, but the Pistons have a comfy lead.

50-37 at the half -- our bench has been whooping it up against their starters.

TJ Ford nearly split his head open going for a ball out of bounds...

Rip's on fire... it's just that simple.

Wow... Toronto needs to be embarrassed that they needed a banked three to beat our 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th men, plus a guy not on the roster.

Sorry Toronto, but you guys really suck.

Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
    MoTown is right.

+ Reply to Thread