+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Runners and joggers

Runners and joggers

anyone here run/jog daily? i really like to run outside, but i'm worried about wearing down my knees and paying for it when i'm older. i know that machines like elliptical machines can nearly eliminate impact, but they are so damn boring. i can jog outside for 30 minutes and it'll feel quick, but on a treadmilll or elliptical it will feel like an eternity.

anyways, my question is if there are ways to minimize the wear on your knees while running.....like running technique or anything like that.

elipticals are good, but as far as i know, treadmills are bad.

if your worried about your knees, dont run on bad shoes. obviously, this means use running shoes. and dont run in worn out shoes. you can tell if theyre worn out by the soul. if the soul is worn down, thats ok, but if the heel of the soul is worn in you need to get a new pair. by worn in, i mean part of the soul (almost always in the back of the heal) is so worn out that that part of the foot isnt making contact with the ground.

also, running on cement is bad. its better to run on rubberized tracks, and even better to run on grass... and by running on grass i mean in a park, but to each his own.

but if all your doing is casual running, i dont think you have too much to worry about. the biggest thing is not to run in worn out shoes. dont run in cross trainers either.

cool, i just picked up a pair of Asics that i really like. i've always been a Nike whore for basketball shoes, but once i put the Asics on, they were so comfortable.

http://www.asicsamerica.com/product....Y_ID=250001173

there are a few schools in the area that have those "rubberized" tracks, so i guess i can use those. they are definitely more cushioned feeling.

asics are good. my favorite were always saucony (sp?), cuz they were cheep and usually the most comfortable to my feet. most runners dont like nike, i forget why. i think nike's shoes are wider than most, or something.

rubberized tracks are good, but you'll probably get bored after a while. also keep in mind, if your going to get serious about jogging, that you should alternate your paths. ie, go clockwise m/w/fr and counterclockwise t/thr. if your going to do street running, you should run the same way you went, so that the inclines even out.

if your just going 10 miles or so a week, you have nothing to worry about. but if you stick with 30 minutes a day, its a good idea to think about this stuff.

My wife was talking to an orthopedic doctor friend of her father's (with me stading next to her) and the woman said her business doubled when stair climbers became popular in gyms and health clubs. She recomended that everyone stay away from those.

I know that's not exactly on topic, but I thought I throw it out there.
    STEW BEEF!

yea, i wouldnt be to keen on using to many of those workout machines.

i do like ellipticals... for a couple months i was using them about 5 hrs a week... but i would never use a treadmill or stairclimber that long.

i also like rowing machines, but those are probably the most tiring/grueling things to do at a gym.

+ Reply to Thread