+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computer Help PLEASE!

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries

Computer Help PLEASE!

Hey all, I know we've got some pretty good computer people on here, so if anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

I have to install a new terminal on our POS network because the old one crashed.

Basically, what I need to do is have the new computer run exactly the same as another one we have. They both are running Windows 98 (they have to) and ideally, I would just somehow "clone" the first terminal's hard drive onto the second one. Does anyone have any suggestions? They are networked, is it as simple as just copying over all the files and folders? I don't have install discs for all the software I need.

If anyone can point me toward a good website with tips on this or a good software program to use that would be great. Neither computer has a burner to use. I'm pretty good at following directions, so any help would be greatly appreciated. God forbid I go to a techie forum or something like that.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    Here's a pointer to a tool called True Image that'll probably work for you:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

There's a free trial for two weeks, you can pay $50, or you can Google your way to older versions that are free that'll probably work just fine on Win98.

The most famous of such tools is Symantec/Norton Ghost, but I liked the above better when I had occasion to fuck with it awhile back.

Honestly, if you can't rebuild what you have, in the long-term, you're better off spending the time to figure out how to do that so you're not screwed if Something Bad(tm) happens.

IN MEMORY OF BIG VINNY 1943 – 1979 “WHEN IN DOUBT KNOCK EM OUT”
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Mxy
    Here's a pointer to a tool called True Image that'll probably work for you:

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing...cts/trueimage/

There's a free trial for two weeks, you can pay $50, or you can Google your way to older versions that are free that'll probably work just fine on Win98.

The most famous of such tools is Symantec/Norton Ghost, but I liked the above better when I had occasion to fuck with it awhile back.

Honestly, if you can't rebuild what you have, in the long-term, you're better off spending the time to figure out how to do that so you're not screwed if Something Bad(tm) happens.
    Yeah, the problem is that the POS software I need to load is not readily available. We cut off ties with our tech support company because they were just continuously gouging us, and we don't have the install software for Aloha, the touchscreen software, etc. If it was just your everyday computer I could probably rebuild it no problem. I'm downloading Ghost right now, hopefully that'll do the trick, if not I'll try your suggestion. THe newer versions of Ghost don't support 98 which is real annoying.

Symantec's website kind of sucks for such a reputable company. I probably would of paid for the program if I could figure out where to get the older version on their site, but there were a bunch of broken links that lead nowhere, so instead I'm stealing it.

Thanks for your help.

I'm reppin' Jesus Christ and Conservative views....

Quick piece by VINNY which was a logo style of his. VINNY also did two letter throw up's by the name of FI 2.

GO WHITE!

+ Reply to Thread