Blog Entries

Report: Nash to be named MVP for 2nd straight year

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...6nash0426.html

Source: Nash to be MVP
    Suns guard would be 10th player to win award in consecutive seasons

Paul Coro
    The Arizona Republic
    Apr. 26, 2006

Suns star Steve Nash will be named the NBA's Most Valuable Player for a second straight season, according to a league source familiar with the voting.

The announcement may not come for two weeks, like last season's May 8 ceremony. The votes have been tabulated in what was expected to be a close race with LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki, Chauncey Billups and Kobe Bryant.

Nash won the fourth-closest MVP vote last year, edging Shaquille O'Neal a year after Nash was not even an All-Star.

Nash, 32, impressed voters this season by posting career highs in scoring (18.8 points per game), rebounding (4.2 per game), field goal percentage (.512) and free-throw percentage (NBA-best .921). He led the league in assists again with 10.5 per game and finished sixth in three-point shooting (43.9 percent).

After Amaré Stoudemire's knee surgery deprived the Suns of their top scorer, Nash led the team to 54 wins and its first repeat division title with only Shawn Marion and Leandro Barbosa back for a full season.

Nash would be the first international and Suns player to win twice.

Only nine previous players repeated as MVP winners. Magic Johnson was the only point guard to do so.
    Last edited by Glenn; 04-26-2006 at 07:50 AM.
    Find a new slant.

Billups got robbed

well, at least we'll stop hearing MVP chants at every FT attempt....

There were at least 2 guys more deserving than Nash. What a traveshamockery.

I am cool with Nash. No one got robbed. There was no clear standout this year and the award could of went deservingly to any of 5 players.

I think Nash deserved it more this year than last year.

I've said my peace on Nash, he wouldn't have been on the top 10 on my ballot, but I understand what people are voting for here.

What a crock!!! Nash doesn't deserve it as much as Bron, Kobe, or Dirk. The NBA Awards are now officially meaningless after this and the COTY award. (Avery Johnson can kiss my left butt cheek!)

Blog Entries
    I guess this should have been expected.

When you lose guys like Amare & Joe Johnson and you do this...

Nash, 32, impressed voters this season by posting career highs in scoring (18.8 points per game), rebounding (4.2 per game), field goal percentage (.512) and free-throw percentage (NBA-best .921). He led the league in assists again with 10.5 per game and finished sixth in three-point shooting (43.9 percent).
    And then the 4 or 5 guys that they brought in during the offseason all have career years, then how can you really argue that much?
    Find a new slant.

I'm Varsity chump. You're J.V.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    I guess this should have been expected.

When you lose guys like Amare & Joe Johnson and you do this...

And then the 4 or 5 guys that they brought in during the offseason all have career years, then how can you really argue that much?
    Just a few reasons why Mike D'Antoni is the COTY, integrating all of those players into his scheme that give everyone in gaudy numbers. It's like calling a Florida receiver the best in the country under the Steve Spurrier score 50 pointd a game. ANY receiver is going to get big numbers. Nash as the MVP of the NBA, twice, is just horrible. Is he now MVP two more times than a guys like John Stockton and Isiah Thomas?

Closed Thread