+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: Avery Johnson wins COY

Avery Johnson wins COY

Avery Johnson will be named coach of the year

At least one major piece of hardware is headed the Mavericks’ way.

Avery Johnson will be named NBA coach of the year on Tuesday, according to league sources, for his performance in his first full year on the job.

Johnson guided the Mavs to a 60-22 record, tying the 2002-03 team for the best record in franchise history. The Mavs had the third-best record in the league and, as the fourth seed in the Western Conference, opened the playoffs with Sunday’s 103-93 victory over Memphis.

Johnson is the fastest coach in league history to 50 wins, his 66-16 record after 82 games is the best all-time and his overall record of 76-24 is the second-best after 100 games.

Johnson is the first Mavs coach to win the award. Former coach Don Nelson was a three-time winner in Milwaukee and Golden State.

Johnson may have some company once all of the league’s honors are handed out. Dirk Nowitzki is one of the Most Valuable Player award favorites, along with former teammate/reigning MVP Steve Nash and LeBron James. Jerry Stackhouse is in the running for sixth man of the year.

The Mavs resume the best-of-seven first-round series against Memphis on Wednesday night at American Airlines Center.
    http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/14419094.htm

I want to hear the acceptance speech, LMFAO.

He sounds like Gary Payton or Ice Cube with his anunciation.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    speechless........................................ .................and the mavs are so much better how?
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Making the Mavs a top 10 defensive team is a big deal. I don't have a problem with him getting the award. It's not like anyone clearly did a better job than him this year.

he deserves it. made mavs legit. flip would have got it if pistons won ~ 5 more games. but its not like anyone owned it this year.

Blog Entries
    You could make a case for D'Antoni again, but Avery winning is not an outrage.
    Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    I think whatever chance Flip may have had for COY was killed with Big Ben's antics in Orlando. What Avery did to kick Dumpier's ass needs to be applauded, and I certainly don't mind him winning at all.

Flip reportedly finished 3rd, behind Avery and D'Antoni.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-25-2006 at 05:33 PM.

i was skeptical that Flip could win.....but 3rd?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Flip reportedly finished 3rd, behind Avery and D'Antoni.
    I can live with that.

"The Forcier is strong with this one." - Boda.

+ Reply to Thread