+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OGT: Pistons lose to Magic, 89-87 (Fri 4/7)

OGT: Pistons lose to Magic, 89-87 (Fri 4/7)

Postgame

Pistons 87, Magic 89

Box Score

NBA.com Video Highlights

Chat Log

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Chauncey Billups outplayed Orlando's backcourt for almost all of the fourth quarter -- until the very end.

Jameer Nelson hit two last-minute shots, the second a fadeaway jumper with 6.5 seconds left, and Hedo Turkoglu had 26 points and seven rebounds to help the Orlando Magic beat the Detroit Pistons 89-87 Friday night.

"I know I can take it to the hole. I knew in my mind it was good," Nelson said.

Trailing by two with 3 seconds remaining, Detroit's Tony Delk missed two free throws. Antonio McDyess corralled the rebound and put up a 12-foot airball, which Dwight Howard grabbed as time expired.

Billups led Detroit with 25 points and eight assists, while Delk scored 18 and Tayshaun Prince chipped in 15.

The win was the Magic's ninth straight at home and snapped the Pistons' six-game winning streak. It was also Orlando's second victory in three games against one of the NBA's marquee teams after beating Dallas at home a week ago. Detroit was playing back-to-back games after beating Miami 95-82 on Thursday night.

"It's what we needed," Turkoglu said. "Winning this kind of big game, building our confidence. Building a team for next year is going to be really huge. If you look at it, we beat Dallas and now Detroit."

Turkoglu was hurt on the last play after having his legs cut out from under him, but X-rays came back negative. The Magic said he has a bone bruise and will undergo an MRI Saturday.

Howard had 12 points and 10 rebounds and Tony Battie had 11 points for Orlando.

Nelson hit a 20-footer to tie the game at 87 with 42 seconds left, and Billups missed a 3-point attempt the next trip down.

Orlando called timeout with 17.3 seconds left, setting up Nelson to drive left of the lane for the game-winning shot.

Detroit didn't score a field goal for the first 6:28 of the fourth quarter until Prince hit a 3-pointer from the wing with 5:32 left, but crept out of a five-point deficit with eight straight free throws from Billups on four straight trips. The All-Star and MVP candidate finished 12-of-12 from the line.

Orlando Magic's Jameer Nelson (14) drives on Detroit Pistons' Tayshaun Prince to position himself for the winning jump shot with 6.5 seconds left to give the Magic a 89-87 victory in an NBA basketball game in Orlando, Fla., on Friday, April 7, 2006.

"Every time we fought back they hit big shots. We have to give them credit," Billups said.

Prince's basket also gave Detroit its first lead of the game, which was quickly extended by another Billups 3-pointer after another Magic turnover.

The Pistons were without leading scorer Richard Hamilton, who flew to Tulsa, Okla., because of a death in the family.

After 73 straight starts this season with the same starting lineup -- 98 straight counting the playoffs last year -- the Pistons have played two of their last three games with just four of their usual starting five. Rasheed Wallace was out Tuesday serving a suspension in a 101-93 win over New Orleans.

Orlando used an 18-6 run midway through the second quarter to build a 54-39 halftime lead, but watched nervously in the second half as Detroit chipped away. The Pistons overcame a 12-point fourth quarter deficit the night before to handily beat Miami, but couldn't find a way to score off the line late against Orlando.

"We wasted the first half. We came out in the second half and tried to fight and claw to get back into the game. Once we got back into the game, they made big plays," Ben Wallace said. "When you play like that sometimes it gets you in the end. This was one of those nights."

Notes

The Magic outscored Detroit in the paint 34-26. ... Orlando shot 53 percent from the field, compared with 45 percent for Detroit. ... Darko Milicic had eight points and four rebounds and Carlos Arroyo scored 10 in their first game against Detroit since being dealt to Orlando in February.

Pregame

VS

The Detroit Pistons look to inch closer to locking up the NBA's best record and the best in franchise history when they visit the Orlando Magic.

With seven games remaining, Detroit holds a three-game lead over San Antonio in the race to finish with the league's top record and gain home-court advantage throughout the playoffs.

The Pistons need just three more victories to set a franchise single-season record, set in 1988-89 when the team went 63-19 and won the first of back-to-back championships.

Detroit already set a team record for road wins in one season, getting its 27th on Thursday with a 95-82 victory over the Miami Heat. The Pistons' 27-11 road record is the NBA's best.

"We take a lot of pride in being a good road team," said Chauncey Billups, who had 14 points and nine assists. "From day one, we talked about being a great road team."

While the Pistons couldn't shut down Shaquille O'Neal or Dwyane Wade, who combined for 57 points, none of the other Heat players scored more than six.

Detroit led by as many as 13 in the third quarter before the Heat's stars brought the team to within two points with 4 minutes remaining. The Pistons, however, finished the game on a 14-3 run.

Rasheed Wallace had 20 points in his return after serving a one-game suspension for picking up his 16th technical foul of the season.

Detroit stays in Florida to face a surging Orlando team which has won six of seven, including Wednesday's 108-105 victory over the Milwaukee Bucks behind Hedo Turkoglu's 24 points.

Magic coach Brian Hill sees Friday's game as a barometer of his team's progress in the last month of the season. When the teams last met, Orlando was in the middle of its worst stretch of the season, losing 18 of 20 from Jan. 27-March 6.

Since then, the Magic have gone 10-4.

"We'll see how we do against them," Hill said. "That's the nice thing about having games down the stretch -- you might as well test yourself against the best. This will be the first time we've played Detroit since we've made the changes in our team. We'll see how far we've come."

The Pistons have won 10 of the last 12 meetings.
    Official Game Chat
    Starts: 7:00pm EST

Requirements:
    1. You must be a registered member of WTFDetroit.com (click here to register)
    2. Get the latest version of Flash for your computer

Click here to enter CHAT
    (please be aware that the chatroom is logged and monitored, and any funny and/or incriminating stuff you say will most likely be posted here)

A snippet from the News today -

Darko reunion

The Pistons are looking forward to seeing former teammates Carlos Arroyo and Darko Milicic tonight when they play the Magic.

Arroyo is averaging 11 points since the trade. Milicic, playing 21 minutes, is averaging 7.9 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.32 blocks.

"I told you all (that he could play) but you didn't want to listen," Rasheed Wallace said of Milicic. "You all thought I was full of it. But I told a lot of people that all Darko needed was some time and he couldn't get it here because he was playing behind me, Dyess (Antonio McDyess ) and Ben (Wallace). Darko is all right."

Chauncey Billups , sitting a couple of chairs over, said with a laugh, "I wish we would have played Darko instead of you."

To which Wallace replied, "Yeah, and I wish we had Chris Paul as our point guard."
    In the time of chimpanzees I was a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilo
    A snippet from the News today -

Darko reunion

The Pistons are looking forward to seeing former teammates Carlos Arroyo and Darko Milicic tonight when they play the Magic.

Arroyo is averaging 11 points since the trade. Milicic, playing 21 minutes, is averaging 7.9 points, 4.6 rebounds and 2.32 blocks.

"I told you all (that he could play) but you didn't want to listen," Rasheed Wallace said of Milicic. "You all thought I was full of it. But I told a lot of people that all Darko needed was some time and he couldn't get it here because he was playing behind me, Dyess (Antonio McDyess ) and Ben (Wallace). Darko is all right."

Chauncey Billups , sitting a couple of chairs over, said with a laugh, "I wish we would have played Darko instead of you."

To which Wallace replied, "Yeah, and I wish we had Chris Paul as our point guard."

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    darko4evalazycrybaby
    I fixed it.
    [smilie=2thumbsup.g:
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Having an awkward moment just to see how it feels.

A misunderstood artist turned villain after a delusional vision of a nightmare that never was.

A Sith Lord who saw no reason to convert this wannabe Jedi.

A Serbian Douche With a false prophecy. With a following of psycho devil worshipers who still believe in him the chosen one.

The pieces are falling............

......Into place as this knucklehead had forseen it.

Now evil has a new face!

"Evil my ass! The Overhyped villain is going down Sucka'!"

"He said what about Detroit??!!"

Krypton's greatest Son races to the Scene to deal with this ambitious wannabe criminal mastermind!

The Beast himself is not pleased by this interruption of his off time.

Tonight. Darko Dies!!
    ^
    Stalked by a Mod who gives 1 percent credence.

Darko reunion

QUOTE OF THE YEAR

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach

The Beast himself is not pleased by this interruption of his off time.
    Ben's daughter just tooted in that picture.
    STEW BEEF!

About the only semi-interesting thing in this game will be how Darko plays. It's basically a forgone conclusion that we'll win, if we show up. With the Ripster out, who knows?

WE ARE ALL WITNESSES

Pistons 105 - Darroyo 87

+ Reply to Thread