http://www.michigan.gov/driverresponsibility
Public Act 165 of 2003, known as the Driver Responsibility Law, took effect October 1, 2003. This law was amended by Public Act 52 of 2004.

Its purpose is to encourage traffic safety by deterring potentially dangerous driving behavior. Other states, including New Jersey and Texas, have implemented similar laws. Michigan's Driver Responsibility Law calls for a monetary assessment for drivers who:

Are convicted of specific qualifying offenses, or

Accumulate seven or more qualifying points on their driving records

Revenues collected from Driver Responsibility Fees go to the state's General Fund, with collections in excess of $65 million (up to $3.5 million) being directed to a newly created Fire Protection Fund. The State of Michigan has begun notifying affected individuals of their payment obligations for violations of the Driver Responsibility Law, through correspondence from the Michigan Department of Treasury.
So I get two tickets like 7 years ago(no insurance I think and not stopping completely at a stop sign). Paid them off 5 years ago. Last week a state cop pulls up on the side and explains to me my license is suspended because of a 300 dollar responsibility act fee add on. I never got any documents about this and was stuck paying 425 dollars to get my license back. In the process I met George Clinton, but thats another story.

My point is how is this a legit charge for the state to throw at people? And of all the things to blast this garbage fee on, why that bs in bold print above?!!!

Also no one could see that my license was suspended except the state trooper and secretary of state after I told them. I got cleared for driver background check related jobs, pulled over, got registration and insurance, and even renewed my license.