Quote Originally Posted by WTFchris
why spend 150-200 bucks on an Ipod when you can spend that money on used PC's that the kids could have encyclopedias on, search online, do their homework, etc? You can't tell me you can't find a decent used PC for 200 bucks. My brand new HP cost me 350 bucks after rebates (with printer and monitor too).
It's the management costs. You need networks and environments and administration to make this stuff useful as more than a glorified word processor. That's neither cheap nor easy.

FWIW, there never was a specific proposal for iPods A dumbass Democratic state rep, as part of discussing new technology spending, held up his iPod and mentioned that golly gee, it'd be great if every kid in Michigan had one. He was likely influenced by a recent lobbyist junket he took to Silly Valley that Apple (among others) paid for. A Freep reporter inferred that some random amount of money -would- definitely be spent on iPods, seemingly making up the specifics as he went along. The dumbass Democrats didn't know to debunk this in a hurry, and now the equally-dumbass Republican state reps and their fans feel justified.