Thread: Wanna be an agent?

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar

Wanna be an agent?

This article is awesome!

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=102815

It's very long, but here's the start:

Posted: June 23, 2006

So,you wanna be an NBA agent?

Why not, right? Face it, Skippy, there comes a time when you realize that, no matter how scrappy you may be, you're just not going to land the point guard spot on an NBA roster. It's a sad day, but, yes, you will have to trade in those high-top Cons for Cole Haans. Wave goodbye to the locker room, say hello to the cubicle.

But you wanna have it both ways, don't you? You're cooking up a plan to stay in basketball, to get into the NBA even though your vertical matches your shoe size. That's no reason you can't stay in the sport, and certainly it's no reason you can't become rich and powerful in the process. The answer is simple: You wanna be an agent.

You know you've thought about them-the mysterious guys at the NBA draft wearing Caraceni suits and seated in the background, arms draped around their soon-to-be-millionaire clients. They're the ones yapping on smartphones or thumbing BlackBerrys. You see their names pop up every now and then in the paper, touting their clients: David Falk. Arn Tellem. Aaron Goodwin. Bill Duffy. The big-time NBA agents.

"I think that is something that's in the back of the minds of a lot of young people," says Henry Thomas, a prominent agent who also has taught a sports law class at DePaul University for 23 years. "That's what made me want to do the class to begin with. There is something very attractive about (being an agent) as a way to make a living."

It's like going to an art museum, looking at a Jackson Pollock painting and saying, "Hell, I could do that!" You see an NBA agent and you think, "How hard could that be?"

"It is a tough, competitive business," Thomas says. "As I have been teaching, students always want to know what advice I would give. Well, it is hard."

How hard? Oh, Skippy, you have no idea. You really wanna be an agent?

Keep reading.

I always though about being an agent. I may re-consider my career.

that, of course would be a dream job. but its a total fantasy, unless your best friend happens to be a golden ticket.

Damn, and I want to be an agent. Myabe not, lol.

+ Reply to Thread