+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The politicization of 9/11 at the RNC?

Blog Entries

The politicization of 9/11 at the RNC?

Apparently, Keith is going to do a scathing special commentary on the politicization of 9/11 tonight.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Apparently, Keith is going to do a scathing special commentary on the politicization of 9/11 tonight.
    I know you feel that way too Glenn, but to a lot of peeps showing a documentary/film thing at the Republican convention is not politicizing 911.

But if he does, that is Olby wan esque. F all U's, I'll do what I want.
    Players meeting my ASS!

They could have done a tribute to 9/11 and it not be political. However they did it totally wrong and made it political. It's a real shame because I think McCain had done a nice job of promoting his service and experience and national security credentials without fear mongering. And then he did that.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

And that seems to be way some peeps take that...for some reason. I took it as a tribute to 911.

I didn't watch ALL of the Dems Convention but did they do a tribute to 911? If not, why not?
    Players meeting my ASS!

I never saw a tribute for the Dems. And I don't understand why the repubs did. If the convention fell on that day, I could totally understand. Or if it was a milestone (ie 5th anniversary, etc coming up). But why did they choose to do that? Why not a tribute to the Katrina Victims? Why not the Oklahoma City bombing? There are plenty of victims that need to be kept in our minds. They chose to do the 9/11 thing because they wanted to plant a seed in your mind for tomorrow so when you watch any coverage of it you think about how McCain will keep you safe and Obama will not. It was totally political.
    Phil Wenneck: The man purse. You actually gonna wear that or are you just fuckin' with me?
    Alan Garner: It's where I keep all my things. Get a lot of compliments on this. Plus it's not a purse, it's called a satchel. Indiana Jones wears one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe
    I know you feel that way too Glenn, but to a lot of peeps showing a documentary/film thing at the Republican convention is not politicizing 911.

But if he does, that is Olby wan esque. F all U's, I'll do what I want.
    For me, it wasn't as much about the images/footage that they used (although that seems to be what upset Olbermann the most) it was the script/narration that bothered me.

Masquerading that video as a "tribute" is a farce. They used the imagery of the dead as a platform for political gain, plain and simple. Do you disagree?

The fear mongering really pisses me off.

Video transcript:

The first attack occurred in Iran – 444 days, America held hostage.

Then again, and again, at our embassies, our Navy.

They grew ever more bold. There call was: On those who believe in God and hopes for reward, to obey God's command to kill Americans.

And kill us they did, this time on American soil. The date was September 11th – 9/11.

This enemy sworn to our destruction has been at war with us for decades. This we now know. Jihadists are still intent on attacking civilization, freedom, the very soul of America.

It is a war we never chose to fight, and for too long we've looked the other way. But the enemy is wrong. This is a war America will win. We'll have a president who knows how.

We remember where we were that day, what happened, what we were doing, how our lives changed. We remember buildings burning, bodies falling, so many stories of bravery.

We remember.

We will carry memories of your beautiful faces and those loving voices now gone forever. And we will never let it happen again.
    The parts in bold are really what piss me off.

The inference is, vote for McCain or thousands more will die.

p.s. I copy and pasted that transcript from some right wing site, and they obviously didn't take the time to spell things correctly.
    Find a new slant.

The ONE line that seems political to me is "We'll have a prez that knows how"

That line just doesn't even seem to fit the overall narration, imo.

point given. But I still think its fine to do a tribute to 911.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Obama had a great response about the use of that video, IMO.

He said that, "it's not something that we would have done". He said that "9/11 is something that should pull us all together, it's not something to be used to divide us". (paraphrase)

And that is exactly how they tried to use that video.
    Find a new slant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Obama had a great response about the use of that video, IMO.

He said that, "it's not something that we would have done". He said that "9/11 is something that should pull us all together, it's not something to be used to divide us". (paraphrase)

And that is exactly how they tried to use that video.
    And I couldn't disagree more.

Its not a dem or repub thing, its an America thing. "WE" were attacked, not Repubs, all of America. Repubs want to remember an attack on our homeland and there is nothing wrong with that.

We just see things differently.
    Players meeting my ASS!

Blog Entries
    Read that transcript again and tell me that there is nothing divisive in there.

It's full of it.
    Find a new slant.

+ Reply to Thread