+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Car Trouble Help

Blog Entries

Car Trouble Help

Ok, so I have a '03 Explorer Sport-Trac, 4x4 and yesterday evening, I drove through a flooded road (maybe a half foot of water?) and ever since, it's been making squeaky noises and what not...

it drives fine, except it creaks when i make turns, and this morning the ABS sensor lit up on my dashboard...

can driving through a large puddle of water hinder the breaks performance?

the manual doesn't say much, and i'd rather not pay for a scan, so i'll throw it out there for you guys and see what i can get...

and if it helps, i just changed the front break pads & routers on Friday (which happen to be the ones that seem to squeak on turns since drivng through the water)

Is it only squeaking when you turn?

If its squeaking in general after a brake change it might be unseated pads. You should be able to put the truck in reverse and get up a little speed and then hit the breaks which will get the pads to correct themselves if they are a bit out of their proper seating.

If its creaking when you turn that might more likely be a tie rod end or ball joint issue. That shouldn't turn your ABS light on though as far as I know (though I'm no mechanic).
    Last edited by Fool; 09-15-2008 at 03:15 PM.
    STEW BEEF!

Blog Entries
    ^just a former handyman
    Find a new slant.

NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH Uncle Mxy's Avatar
    You don't have to pay for a scan. AutoZone will do it for free.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, get in the zone.
    Find a new slant.

Blog Entries
    Yeah it only squeaks when I turn, I think it may have to do with the pads being un-centered like you said...

Ill take the tires off and take a look, and I'll try the Zone if the light stays on...

I also got into an accident back in May and Collex had to re-allign the entire frame and they ended up using junkyard parts rather than buying new parts. So if the problem persists, I'll just take it back, it's warrantied I think....

Thanks, the centering sounds right, I didn't exactly replace the pads on the flatest ground...

i'd take the brake pads off altogether and drive around for a while. if it doesn't creak anymore, then there's your solution!

do the whole reverse thing, that seemed to work for the cav. also, did you drive through clinton river by the cemetery? the jeep owned that water...
    Destiny

Blog Entries
    It was Hayes Road between Utica & Clinton River...

+ Reply to Thread